Prevent warnings about remote content being blocked

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cecr

Prevent warnings about remote content being blocked

Post by cecr »

As the title says. I would disable loading of remote contect even if TB didn't do it by default.
I want to KEEP blocking remote content loading,but prevent the message being displayed for each and every email I receive. Displaying the warning is not necessary. I enabled the blocking, and have created a whiteloist where loading is permitted. I don't need telling everytime that content is blocked.

So, is it possible to disable the message that remote loading is blocked, whilst still having the blocking enabled?

Reason: not only is it annoying to be constantly reminded of something I learning about many years ago, but when using a ;aptop or other small screen device, it's a constant irritation to see screen space being wasted on such unrequired warnings.
tanstaafl

Re: Prevent warnings about remote content being blocked

Post by tanstaafl »

You might be able to identify the window used by that warning using the DomInspector add-on and prevent it from being displayed using CSS in the optional userChrome.css file in the optional chrome directory in your profile. The easiest solution though would be to view them as plain text messages using view -> message body as -> plain text. http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

If screen real estate is an issue take a look atthe compact header add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... er/?src=ss . You can use it to default to a one line display for the headers, while having a small control that you can click on to expand the headers.
morat

Post by morat »

Try this:

Code: Select all

/* Thunderbird userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

notification[value="remoteContent"] {
  display: none !important;
}
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css
cecr

Post by cecr »

Thanks both of you.

I'll have another look at the compact header add on. I've used it before but remember I removed it because of some problem or other.

Morat, thanks a lot for the coding. I'll give it a whirl. It'd taken me ages to work that out!
cecr

Post by cecr »

Update
the compactheader addon isn't that useful. It's compatibilityis up tp TB 60.* and the beta is for TB 63.0 so I dpon't know what wil;l happen when TB 61 comes out. Anyway, in fully compact mode, you lose all the buttons - delete, reply etc, and the other option is to display 2 lines, saving 1 line. Not such a reall estate savings but some gains anyway.

The userchrome code suggested by morat seems to work a treat! Very happy with that. I found it very annoying being constantly reminded of something I already knew and have done for several years. It was as much about the annoyance factor as the screen space, but the code solves both, adn the addon saves a tiny bit more space as well!

Overall, win, win, win situation. If only all problems were that easy to solve.

Thanks guys.
cecr

Post by cecr »

Ok. Here's where things get less than simple. What if I want to show the links... sometimes? The prompt to show them is disabled due to morat's code. Is there some way of adding a button to show them when desired? If TB had a button like that as standard there wouldn't be the annoyance of the reminders and you'd still have the safety of not showing the links.

I've been using morat's code since he posted it and it works perfectly. Today, for the first time in years, or maybe a decade or more, an email has a graphic that I wouldn't mind seeing. The link still works if I click on the sace where the picture should be, but the pictre itself isn't there. This i sliterally teh only time in years I've wanted to see a picture in an email. I'm not that bothered that I'd disabe the code and have the constant reminders though! Still a button to toggle the graphics on/off would be a good feature