Messages not saved to Sent folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Messages not saved to Sent folder

Post by DanRaisch »

Microsoft Support won’t be of any assistance because Thunderbird is not a Microsoft product.

Try changing the target for storing those sent messages to the Sent folder under Local Folders.
cullism

Post by cullism »

Further information: The error message I get when Thunderbird cannot save a copy of an email with attachments to my Sent folder is "Network error or file error". I then have the option of saving the email to a local folder. What I hadn't noticed is that Thunderbird had, in fact, saved the emails to a local folder which appeared under my Inbox, Trash, etc. I don't know what this means but it may be related to the fact that the NBN ihas been introduced in my locale and I haven't yet switched over.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, see this image:

There are four email accounts shown there, with the folders of all but "Acct 4" collapsed to make things clearer. "Acct 4" is an IMAP account and any messages stored in the folders listed below that account name are stored on the server, although a copy might also be stored locally for access when no Internet connection is available.
When I referred to "Local Folders" I was speaking only of the structure to which the red arrow is pointing in this image. Messages stored in sub-folders of the "Local Folders" structure are stored only on the local computer. If you select the Sent folder under "Local Folders" as the target for storing sent messages, Thunderbird will not place a copy on the server and any problems with that process (transferring the sent message to the server) will be eliminated. Try changing to that location for sent messages just as a test to see if the error messages are eliminated when that location is chosen.