MozillaZine

Empty Trash Message Box Missing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
greybeard2012

Post Posted August 5th, 2019, 4:29 am

Not sure how long this has been happening but it must be recent: if a message is deleted it gets sent to Trash and, usually at the end of the day, I use the main menu "Empty Trash" option. Until I had this problem when you clicked on that you'd get a warning dialogue box appearing asking for a final Y/N confirmation before deletion.

That has now gone missing; nothing appears, no confirmation that Trash has been emptied although the message(s) do appear to be deleted.

I've not changed any settings or used any addons in years, so it can not be something I've done. Obviously I've searched about this and found a thread referring to the mail.warn line in the config.editor as being the settings that control that warning dialogue box function.

When I checked that it is still shown as "true". So I should be getting that warning message but I'm not even after restarting Thunderbird and the whole PC too.

Thunderbird version 60.8.0, which I think I updated to last week.

Any ideas?

Eckard

Post Posted August 5th, 2019, 9:05 am

Which is the value of mailnews.emptyTrash.dontAskAgain in your config editor ?

greybeard2012

Post Posted August 6th, 2019, 4:43 am

Nice idea but I've just checked that and it is definitely set to "false". So it should 'ask again' ............... but it does not.

I went through all the the Thunderbird GUI settings looking for something related to mail/trash default behaviour and couldn't even find anything let alone have deliberately or accidentally altered it. Until this matter I've never even accessed the Thunderbird "about:config" settings so could not have changed them either.

This must have come in with the last update and surely be a glitch if both those config settings are shown as "default" but the Empty Trash dialogue box does not appear when using the Empty Trash menu option.

BTW I've just checked the last Thunderbird update shown installed on my PC and in fact it was on 03.08.19. So only three days ago which is probably why I've just noticed this problem.

Should I file a bug report with Mozilla?

Eckard

Post Posted August 6th, 2019, 7:52 am

greybeard2012 wrote:Nice idea but I've just checked that and it is definitely set to "false". So it should 'ask again' ............... but it does not.

Yes, it should, just as it does (and has always done in earlier versions) in my TB 60.8.0 (Mac) version :

Should I file a bug report with Mozilla?
It's a bit too early to file a new bug report unless there are more reports about the same issue.
I haven't seen any such reports in other Mozilla forums.
Does your problem persist if you start TB in safe mode ?
Hold the shift key when launching TB.

sfhowes

Post Posted August 6th, 2019, 10:09 am

The preference mail.emptyTrash.dontAskAgain must also be set to false.

Eckard

Post Posted August 6th, 2019, 11:03 am

sfhowes wrote:The preference mail.emptyTrash.dontAskAgain must also be set to false.

There is no such preference in my Thunderbird 60.8.0 config editor :

I still have an old profile running with TB 52.x.x. In this profile I found a preference confirmbeforedelete.emptytrash.enable which has been created by the Confirm Before Delete add-on https://freeshell.de//~kaosmos/index-en.html#cbd

So maybe greybeard2012 had been using this add-on in an earlier TB version and when upgrading to TB 60.x.x this add-on would have been disabled.

sfhowes

Post Posted August 6th, 2019, 11:10 am

Yes, mail.emptyTrash.dontAskAgain isn't present in a profile created by TB 60, but setting it false in a profile created in older versions should work. ConfirmBeforeDelete still works in TB 60 when the preference extensions.strictCompatibility is false.

Eckard

Post Posted August 6th, 2019, 11:19 am

sfhowes wrote: ConfirmBeforeDelete still works in TB 60 when the preference extensions.strictCompatibility is false.
Yes, I know. But when you upgrade e. g. from TB 52.x.x to TB 60.x.x this add-on, like many others, would automatically be disabled. Which might have been happened to the OP if he has been using ConfirmBeforeDelete in an older version.

greybeard2012

Post Posted August 6th, 2019, 4:07 pm

sfhowes wrote:Yes, mail.emptyTrash.dontAskAgain isn't present in a profile created by TB 60, but setting it false in a profile created in older versions should work. ConfirmBeforeDelete still works in TB 60 when the preference extensions.strictCompatibility is false.

The only addon shown that I'm using is "Lightning". I do not remember installing it and cannot think why I would have done. Likewise any other addon: I've just not bothered with them for Thunderbird. So unless these were installed by default the ConfirmBeforeDelete addon was, AFAIK, not installed on my machine and certainly not uninstalled by me.

sfhowes: you've have looked for the wrong about:config file, the one Eckard described and pointed out as being significant in regard to this matter was: mailnews.emptyTrash.dontAskAgain not mail.empty/Trash.dontAskAgain as written in your posts.

My about:config settings for both the mail.warn_on_delete_from_trash and the other one appear to be as they should be, "true" and "false" respectively but I'm still getting no warning dialogue box when selecting Empty Trash from the main menu. This is new behaviour which must have come with the recent update or I would have noticed it before. I'd post an attachment to show all this but, apparently, we can not do that here.

Eckard

Post Posted August 7th, 2019, 2:30 pm

greybeard2012 wrote:This is new behaviour which must have come with the recent update or I would have noticed it before.

To my knowledge there is no other preference influencing the warning message to pop up or not.
The ultimate test would be a new Thunderbird profile https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... e-profiles
If the same behaviour persists in the new profile feel free to file a bug report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home

greybeard2012

Post Posted August 7th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Thanks, that's what I'll do then.

Reported it as a bug and found other posts about the same matter there with earlier Thunderbird versions. Unfortunately the 'solutions' suggested (editing another config setting) that apparently worked for the OP in one case did not work for me.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1242542

Return to Thunderbird Support