Opening .eml files

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sludge7071-g

Opening .eml files

Post by sludge7071-g »

06/24/19
TB lets you save e-mails as .eml, but won't display them.
Why? .eml files became a security risk ... You have to use another program to view them, or:
many options, I chose to . . . Save the e-mail as .html

08/21/19
I'm using:
Thunderbird, 60.8.0 (32-bit)
TB will now open a .eml

Did this just get changed? What was the reasoning?
tanstaafl

Re: Opening .eml files

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird has supported displaying the contents of a .eml file for many years. What it doesn't do (unless that has recently changed) is let you copy/move that message to a mail folder. If you want to import a .eml file you needed to use a add-on such as ImportExportTools

Perhaps your file extension associations had been broken, and were recently fixed.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

sludge7071-g wrote: TB lets you save e-mails as .eml, but won't display them.
At least in its macOS version Thunderbird is still able to open .eml files:

It is also very easy to import .eml files by simple drag & drop in any folder (POP or IMAP accounts)

sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

. . . Thunderbird has supported displaying the contents of a .eml file for many years.

By clicking on a .eml file that you saved?

01/30/19 version 60.5.0 - I started using TB - No opening of .eml is the result I got - up to . . .
06/24/19 version 60.7.2 - then . . .
07/10/19 version 60.8.0 - I installed this version . . .
08/21/19 I notice that I can now click a .eml, and it opens

. . . What it doesn't do (unless that has recently changed) is let you copy/move that message to a mail folder. If you want to import a .eml file you needed to use a add-on such as ImportExportTools

I just dragged a .eml from Win 10 File Explorer to my Inbox, and it appeared

. . . Perhaps your file extension associations had been broken, and were recently fixed.

I looked at that when it wasn't working - TB was set to open .eml, and it didn't

. . . It is also very easy to import .eml files by simple drag & drop in any folder (POP or IMAP accounts)

I just did that, thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Somewhere I read that .eml quit being used - just by TB? - due to a security risk.

Now, the latest version of TB works with them.

I wonder what the story is there. How did they fix the security risk?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

sludge7071-g wrote:Somewhere I read that .eml quit being used - just by TB? - due to a security risk.
I have tried to send mails with .eml attachments that have been rejected by the mail server at the receiving end because .eml might contain security risks.

Here's one such rejection notice from the receiving server with filename redacted:
This message has been rejected because it has
a potentially executable attachment "filename.eml"
This form of attachment has been used by
recent viruses or other malware.
If you meant to send this file then please
package it up as a zip file and resend it.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers