Thunderbird 68.0 Loading Without Lightning & New Email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tpaulr

Thunderbird 68.0 Loading Without Lightning & New Email

Post by tpaulr »

Afternoon...

Been a long time since I've had any issues with TB, but 68 is causing all kinds of headaches:

1. It won't check for email automatically, either when I first open TB, nor at any time subsequent. I have to manually check now, if I even remember.

After 60 odd versions, is this now a manual process?

2. It won't load Lightning when I first open TB.

I have to also manually open the calendar, close it, then it shows up.

Again, is this now manual?

How do I fix this?

I would say this is pretty fundamental functionality for an email client... ](*,)

Thanks in advance.
tpaulr

Re: Thunderbird 68.0 Loading Without Lightning & New Email

Post by tpaulr »

Let me also amend to now include the fact that it shows nothing that's already been scheduled - anything after today is blank.

:evil:
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using 68.0 under Windows 10 and while I've found some bugs the basic functionality works fine. However, I normally don't use Lightning so I didn't test whether a calendar actually worked. It does automatically load the add-on and display a today window and I can view the calendar or tasks window.

Did you reuse an existing profile or create a new one?
What email providers (gmail, yahoo etc.) are you using?
POP or IMAP accounts?
What anti-virus software are you using?
Are you using a add-on to connect to google calendar? If so which one and did you try updating the add-on? You need to use a different version of gcontactsync (if you're using that add-on)

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... nc/?src=ss
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Let's take them in order:

1. I created a new profile when v60 came out

2. Gmail, 2 accounts

3. IMAP

4. No A/V, I run Sandboxie, but Thunderbird isn't in any sandbox

5. No add-ons except Lightning, assuming that's the current version I'm running

This afternoon, TB would load, immediately go to a blank page - tells me TB is not responding - then reloads in a matter of seconds, 1 time with the calendar (no events in the calendar), 1 time with the calendar fully populated, 1 time no calendar again.

I did notice a couple times this PM, the "Today Pane" was turned off.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Nope. I haven't noticed anything version 68 specific in the calendar forum either.

However, make certain that "allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive" is checked in gmail -> server settings. That enables IMAP IDLE support. Its best to have all three methods of checking for new mail checked but you can get by with just IDLE support. Basically when Thunderbird isn't doing anything over the network it tells the server it should immediately notify Thunderbrid about new mail (rather than waiting for Thunderbrid to explicitly check for new mail).

I'll create a calendar this weekend using Lightning and google calendar and see what sort of problems I run into. 68 hasn't been out long. Perhaps after a couple of days there will be some threads related to the problems you're seeing.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

1. "Allow immediate server response" is checked, yes.

2. This morning, it loaded with the "Today Pane" (lower right icon) off again - why it's being turned off, no clue.

I have all the correct things checked in account settings, everything from immediate server response to showing today's pane, always have.

I hope TB isn't going to be problematic from now on like FF, at least for me. I've created 17 new profiles in FF since v60. It simply doesn't function well, especially bookmark management. :?

Thank you, as always.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

tanstaafl,

I am starting to see some comments this morning about the same issues; GHacks has a few about not automatically checking for email, extensions not working/no longer available, and etc.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

I have gone back to 60.8. 68 is a mess for me, it simply won't load 'today's pane" fully with all my events and tasks - I use this for business, I need a working email client and calendar.

The behavior I conveyed, above, is the default behavior - it loads, goes to a blank white page, etc.

I'll wait for the next version of TB, 68.XX.

Thanks...
Aponia71

Post by Aponia71 »

Hi
I have big problems with Thunderbird 68.x and Lightning (in Manjaro Linux) : "Today Pane" disappears every days, and when I activate it, tasks ans events are empty.
I have to reinstall Lightning with xpi file to recover Event and tasks, and to get Today pan working.
But after reboot, same problem... Lightning doesn't work .

I initially used Lightning in Th 68 because "Reminderfox" was no more compatible... what a pity, this addon is very useful

I have gone back to thunderbird 60.8 too.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

One more spin around...

I have been following a similar thread at the Mozilla Thunderbird Community Forum and 2 suggestions have been made about the issues I enumerated above:

1. To fix the "not responding" issue, you need to: Delete the file global messagesdb.sqlite, which has been reported to fix the "goes white" ( not responding) issue.

Not sure I understand why this is a solution? Global search and index is not checked in my options, or is this something different?

2. Also as a part of the solution, the recommendation was made to stop downloading new versions of TBird from https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/, and to just let TBird update when the notification is made that there is a new version. I know there is a new site for downloading all versions, but that is not the reason this was suggested.

Again, not sure why. Can somebody please explain?

3. The "Today Pane" issue is apparently a bug, supposed to be fixed in the next release.

Thanks, again, as always... :)
kerft

Post by kerft »

For 2 - If you manually install a full version, it may not detect your current profile as compatible and want to make a new profile. When you update within the program, this should be less likely. Also, if you manually install, you could end up with a 32-bit and a 64-bit install if you don't uninstall first. Either of these problems should be easy to fix. If you end up with an unwanted profile, you can change the default overriding compatibility.ini if needed, or copy your data from the old to the new. And if 32 and 64 are both installed you can just remove both and install again.
Also, see this announcement - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055397 If you enjoy some extensions you may want to disable updates and stick with 60 (or maybe 52).
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

I did create new profiles for 68, then 68.1 because of the problems I've had. I have 1 profile, I also have 1 extension, Lightning.

I always uninstall before I download, learned that from this site a long long time ago...

I'm not running 64 bit version.