Thunderbird 52.9.1 slow to launch Windows xp

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
shakushinnen

Thunderbird 52.9.1 slow to launch Windows xp

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
It takes just short of half a minute to start, after starting windows. Afterwards it only takes a few second. It's the same thing with SeaMonkey and Firefox, although they start in about 10 seconds, which is OK.
Any thoughts about how I might speed up Thunderbird's initial launch?
Thanks,
.... john
P.S. All of these run fine when they're going. All other applications launch fine.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird 52.9.1 slow to launch Windows xp

Post by tanstaafl »

Move most of the messages in the inbox folder to other folders, empty the trash and use file -> compact folders. You might also try excluding the profile from scanning by Windows Defender. If you don't use Lightning, I suggest you remove it. Its a resource hog. If you need just a simple to-do list type of calendar try using ReminderFox instead of Lightning.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird for some other suggestions.

When Windows boots it appears to have finished (because the desktop and taskbar are displayed) but it can take another minute for it to fully finish starting all of the processes. You can speed this up by using hibernate rather than shutdown.

See https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2554,00.asp for how to enable hibernate for XP SP3.
shakushinnen

Re: Thunderbird 52.9.1 slow to launch Windows xp

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi tanstaafl,
I did everything you suggested, except stopping Windows Defender from scanning. (I don't think it's installed, at least it's not in the Program Files.) I do use hibernate, except at night when I shut it down. The result is a negligible difference.
Thanks for your suggestions. I think ReminderFox will work well.
..... john