Add Ons Now Disabled in 68.1

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
orealius

Re: Add Ons Now Disabled in 68.1

Post by orealius »

Once again, pardon my lack of understanding...but these posts from the link seem to be about a year old!
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

orealius wrote:Once again, pardon my lack of understanding...but these posts from the link seem to be about a year old!
See the developer's latest comments from Sept. 2019, and the comment about layout.css.devPixelsPerPx. (pictures)
kerft

Post by kerft »

In the comments at the bottom of this https://www.wanhunglo.com/2018/theme-fo ... ment-20602 , in posts in September 2019, the developer of the fixed version of the extension, *Bzzz* expresses frustration and I believe says in effect webextensions do not support all these features yet, and the debugger (a programming tool) is worse than before. He suggests that if you want to zoom everything all at once you can adjust layout.css.devPixelsPerPx. 1.25 would be 125% scaling, etc.

Also one comment not from the developer says: "I have finally managed to get my display back to pretty much how I had it, without TFSC, through use of a userChrome.css file and some settings in Options. But i was held up for days by everything else being right, but tiny text in the display of plain text message windows. Everything I thought should – or might – change that font size didn’t make any difference. After far too long, yesterday I finally realised there’s a bug in TB 68.0: as a traditionalist I had plain text messages set to display in the configured monospace font … but that’s where the bug is – TB simply does not respond to the configured monospace font size setting. Changing plain text messages to display in the configured proportional font like everything else immediately fixed the tiny plain text as it DOES respond to the Options setting for the proportional font size."

If you can't make progress I would hire a local expert to set up the userChrome.css and options they way you would like, if Thunderbird 68 has the other extensions that you need (it does have importexporttools NG).
orealius

Post by orealius »

Thanks...That (layout.css.devPixelsPerPx) ( works in 60.9) so I assume it will work in 68.1. But I will wait until the next update to go there. Thunderbird is a great desktop e-mail program and I appreciate the work that goes into designing and maintaining it. But I wonder why TB would update the program that disabled essential add-ons....like TFSC. As 'KERFT" says...it took him days to figure out how to make the text readable again. It took me several hours to revert to 60.9. Yo' guys and gals: Don't forget about your essential constituents: Us plebians...the 'users!'
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

These issues, with extension compatibility, etc, may be due to the recent updates to Firefox with which Thunderbird shares its rendering engine.
orealius

Post by orealius »

I see that 68.1.1 is available. Any chance that TFSC will work with this build?
kerft

Post by kerft »

There is a follow up comment from the author on September 24 at https://www.wanhunglo.com/2018/theme-fo ... ment-21104
orealius

Post by orealius »

Any news on the TFSC extension for 68.1.1?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

orealius wrote:Any news on the TFSC extension for 68.1.1?
Any 'news' about this TFSC is going to be here - https://www.wanhunglo.com/2018/theme-fo ... ment-21104
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

forrie wrote:Sorry, I was referring to their choice of default font -- terrible. I'm on a Mac, tho, so maybe the font got interpreted differently, but it was more monospace. Drove me nuts.
The CSS to control all TB UI choices can be found here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055651

Some font choices/sizes can be controlled through the options / display tabs.
orealius

Post by orealius »

So...at this point, (since I've heard nothing directly from:
https://www.wanhunglo.com/2018/theme-fo ... ment-21104)
I assume that updating to 68.2 will still have no TFSC extension?...or anything like it?
In other words the message panes text will default to "tiny?"
kerft

Post by kerft »

It looks like the intention is for next year (when Thunderbird approximately 76 is released) to only support webextensions / mail extensions http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055397 Font changing will probably not be allowed. You can probably find a way to email the author directly, but considering this new information I would assume no extension will be released.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Yes...several of us have corresponded back and forth with "Bzzz" the person who has been putting TFSC up. Understandably he is stymied by the new build and has his (her) own obligations. Now it seems from Kerft's post that changing font size will probably not be allowed in TB 76 next year anyway.

I don't know how many thousands (millions?) of PEOPLE use Thunderbird as a major mode of communication, but it is a bit unconscionable to leave us hanging... not having the ability to READ the messages that one is receiving. TB is such a great asset to those who rely on multiple e-mail accounts. It just doesn't make sense not to include a font-size option!
kerft

Post by kerft »

As mentioned above if you go to the options, there are settings for adjusting fonts, of course. Just the setting does not work in an obvious way sometimes, for example all the settings visible only apply for "latin" and you have to set them all again for "other languages." Also there may be a glitch where setting a minimum size or custom size does not work for monospace fonts, so you have to set it to use sans or serif instead of monospace. And, plain text emails may be treated differently than html ones, having instead of numeric font sizes, font sizes in "small, medium, large".
If you use userChrome.css to adjust fonts, or layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to scale everything bigger, hopefully those will continue to work into the future.
Extensions for fonts are probably dead, but bug reports about how the options panel could be re-designed regarding fonts may be productive.

One thing that could be helpful - much popular software adjusts font sizes in points, such as MS Word. People familiar with software like that may think of 12 as a medium size font. But Thunderbird and other Mozilla software may use pixels for font sizes, not points. Points with default settings are often 1.5 Pixels. So, an 18 pixel font may be the size you expect as 12 point. If it seems the software is ignoring your changes, it may be as simple as that you need a much larger number to make the font as big as you expect.
orealius

Post by orealius »

The font sizes for TB and other Web-Based views are independent. So a broad-Brush change of fonts would not work out very well. Puhleeeze...take the users into consideration and make it easy to make fonts in the message pane READABLE!!!