Plain text compose shortens lines to 46 characters not 72

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Budgie3

Plain text compose shortens lines to 46 characters not 72

Post by Budgie3 »

By default I do not use HTML when composing messages and my messages have very short lines, about 46 rather than the 72 default limit.
Why is this and how can I adjust this so lines are closer to the 72 limit before wrapping.
Believe me I have tried reading the advice on this site but not found answer to my question.
Budgie3
Budgie3

Re: Plain text compose shortens lines to 46 characters not 7

Post by Budgie3 »

Just wanted to add I also get inconsistent and unwanted line breaks if I edit on different machine although the settings are supposed to be the same.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

In Edit/Preferences/Advanced/General/Config. editor, mailnews.wraplength controls the wrap width. Right-click, Reset, to change it to the default 72, or Modify to something else. A value of 0 (zero) wraps to the window width.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plain_text_e- ... hunderbird for information about some other settings for plain text.
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

sfhowes wrote:In Edit/Preferences/Advanced/General/Config. editor, mailnews.wraplength controls the wrap width. Right-click, Reset, to change it to the default 72, or Modify to something else. A value of 0 (zero) wraps to the window width.
Many thanks for the suggestion. If it had been that easy I would have done it already. The setting is already at 72.
What next please?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The wrapping for plain text messages has been buggy for as long as I can remember, though it seems better in version 68. The best workaround I found was to compose a HTML message with no HTML.