Get Messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
justmegt

Get Messages

Post by justmegt »

Is there any difference between clicking the 'Get Messages' or the sub-menu 'Get All New Messages'

Is there any other indication, other than the green line at the bottom? I used to use Windows Live Email and a pop up window came up when checking for new emails. If I could switch on a sound, it would be good, although I may find it annoying :(

It seems that you get a sound when an email arrives but no sound if another arrives. Can this be changed?
tanstaafl

Re: Get Messages

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. The first just gets new messages just for the currently selected account. If you hover the mouse over the button long enough it will even display a tool tip for what account it is for such as "get new messages for fastmail". "Get all new messages" checks for new messages in the inbox of all accounts.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... box-alert/ lets you customize per folder what alert is used. However, I'm not aware of a way to get multiple alerts for new mail in the same folder when it checks for new mail.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_Utilitie ... tification has links to some new mail notification programs that can co-exist with Thunderbird. Most are pretty customizable. PopTray for example supports a Microsoft speech plug-in that "will audibly tell you when you have new emails. You can configure it to tell you the total number of new emails, new and unread emails, the list of senders, or the list of senders and the subjects of their emails."
justmegt

Post by justmegt »

Thank you.

I set up the first suggestion, which is working fine.

I tried the second option but kept getting errors. So I gave up on that.

Now I have another problem. The archive delete etc menu disappeared from the pane window (normally appears when emails are highlighted). The menu still appears OK when emails are opened.
When all else fails. Read the manual.
justmegt

Post by justmegt »

I have answered my own question. I hope this helps someone else:

Click: View, Layout. (6 options)

I played around with these 6 options, switched the Message Pane back on and the menu shortcut came back. I don't remember switching this off.

My messages also suddenly gained headers. I switched this off. I don't know how this happened.

Click: View, Headers. (All or Normal)

I clicked Normal.
justmegt

Post by justmegt »

Somehow, with my messing around, one of my archive folders (2019) has become a sub folder of another one (2018) and made a new folder called 2019. I don't know how to get back to the way it was, without losing all my archived emails.

I thought I had lost the folder but discovered it in the 2018 archives.

HELP!!!!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Drag and drop it to the desired position, and then rename it. If it complains when you want to move it, temporarily uncheck "Keep message archives in" in Tools -> Account Setting -> Account_name -> Copies & Folders. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Archiving_your_e-mail if you need to refresh your memory on what the folder layout should be.
justmegt

Post by justmegt »

Thank you.

I think we're back to normal now. I had 4 folders marked 2019, at one time :-(

Deleting folders required some research, after deleting the first one, TB didn't let me delete any more. So, I had to go into to the account settings but that's a whole new ball game.

I changed the folders name to (2019 old one) and (2019 new one). Every time I added a new archive, TB created a new folder (2019).

Renaming the folder (2019 old one) back to (2019) and dragging it into the master folder (Archives) did the trick. Tested by sending myself emails and archiving them.

There were 800+ emails in the 2019 archive. I was terrified of losing them. I got there in the end. I hope this helps someone else. My signature is very true for me :-)
justmegt

Post by justmegt »

I installed 'Mailbox Alerts'. It sometimes informs me of a new email when there isn't one. I have alerts for child folders set. Is that wrong?

I assume the Archive folders are local. Is that correct?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I found an issue at https://github.com/tjeb/Mailbox-Alert/issues/2 about "Alerts fire when email is read, not received"

If you only get new mail in a inbox folder it doesn't make sense to enable alerts for child folders. It just increases the chances of errors.

Where Thunderbird archives messages depends upon the account type and how its configured. But for POP accounts you can assume its local.
justmegt

Post by justmegt »

TB set it up as IMAP.
justmegt

Post by justmegt »

Unticked Child folders for each account. Mailbox Alert stopped working. TB went back to default sound on first message only.

Ticked Child folders for each account. Mailbox Alert started working again.

I have TB 68.1.2. I'm not sure which version of Mailbox Alert.
justmegt

Post by justmegt »

I still have problems with mailbox alerts. Is there another add on that does something similar?

My version of TB is now 68.3.1 (32 bit) although I'm on a 64 bit computer. The Mailbox Alert programmer states that the latest version of MBA is 22, which works with TB 60. He seems to have stopped updating the software.

I recently added some new email addresses and turned off the child folder alerts. TB just makes the normal sound. When the child alerts are on I get alerts even when composing a message. I just tried again and it all seems to have gone to pot.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know of an alternative add-on to mailbox alert. However, there are plenty of stand alone utilities that check for new mail that will co-exist with Thunderbird. Many provide for additional ways to notify you of new mail. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_Utilitie ... tification has links to some.