TbSync fails to sync all email addresses

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
aajax

TbSync fails to sync all email addresses

Post by aajax »

Trying to implement TbSync on TB 68.1.1. Some limited testing has revealed that when contacts are sync'd only 1 email address makes it to that same contact in the address book on a system other than the one where the extra email address was originally added/edited. Result is that the same contact has different information on different systems (i.e., instances of TB). Insofar as my contacts use very few of the many available data fields I cannot say with any certainty what might be happening with respect to the many fields which I'm NOT using. However, this result diminishes confidence in the integrity of this add-on (Note: My test systems include TbSync as well as Provider for CalDAV & CardDAV).
tanstaafl

Re: TbSync fails to sync all email addresses

Post by tanstaafl »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055531

You're using JustHost? Given your intermittent problems with calendar sync perhaps you should verify that you can get things working with somebody more mainstream such as gmail and google contacts before trying JustHost again.

I haven't tried syncing contacts with TbSync yet but repeat my suggestion you consider using the CardBook add-on as its designed to support CardDAV.
aajax

Post by aajax »

Based on present experience it is quite reasonable to suspect the CardDAV service I'm using as a possible cause of this problem.

When it comes to to current setup, it appears that "Provider for CalDAV & CardDAV" used in conjunction with "TbSync" is responsible for sync'ing contacts. From what I've seen so far the CardDAV support seems a little odd when it comes to usability. Therefore, the idea of trying the "Cardbook" add-on has some appeal. However, when I try to install that add-on a message results which says the following:

"The add-on could not be installed because it does not match the add-on Thunderbird expected."

I have NO knowledge of TB expectations. Is it possible that this indicates some conflict with the other add-ons (i.e., "Provider for CalDAV & CardDAV", "TbSync", as well as "Category Manager") that are installed?

The CalDAV support seems to be doing nicely in spite of my prior post concerning another mysterious error message. Unless there is an alternative add-on for CalDAV support I think I need to retain the currently installed add-ons.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think the error message is saying you're using the wrong version of the add-on with your version of Thunderbird. I doubt its complaining about interoperability problems with other add-ons.

The default version at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... /cardbook/ requires version 68 or later. https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... /versions/ has a download link for version 51-60. If you're using version 52 or 60 the latter is what you need.
aajax

Post by aajax »

As stated in original post this is TB 68.1.1. I went through the "add-on" options of TB and tried to install which is when the message was displayed.

Doing that again indicates that it is CardBook V42.4 updated on 9/25/2019 that is found.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm out of town right now so I can't try to duplicate your problem. Perhaps tomorrow, when I get back.
aajax

Post by aajax »

I'm doing this on test systems. There is no urgency.

Have opened a ticket with JustHost. If nothing else I'd like for them to determine whether or not some specific contacts are correct on their server. It seems that this was NOT real simple to do.

Have also sent an email to the support address provided for CardBook informing them of the error.
aajax

Post by aajax »

Received a reply, I think, to the email I sent to CardBook support. It contained no explanation but did have links to .xpi files that are considered current for TB V60 & V68. It indicted that V42.5 was needed for TB V68 rather than the V42.4 which is what the normal method says is current. I downloaded & installed it and it seems to work.

However, when I add it to one of my test systems it seems to work but the same defect is present. It seems to me that to do valid troubleshooting with it I need to get rid of other add-ons which may also be sync'g and possibly need to figure how to reset the server, although one might think that is what sync'g is all about. Other opinions?

Would I be correct in thinking that if I create a new TB profile and only add "CardBook" that I'd be free of any interference from "TbSync" & "Provider for CalDAV & CardDAV"?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes.
aajax

Post by aajax »

I finally got around to testing CardBook on dual instances of TB running without any other add-ons involved in synchronization. Depending on your view the results might be better or worse.

It seems that CardBook doesn't do any better at transferring a contact with more than one email address. Only one email address ends up on the instance of TB that is relying on synchronization to update. However, unlike TbSync and associated add-ons it ends up removing the secondary email address from the instance of TB where it was added. In that, such contacts end up being the same in all address books. I suppose that could be considered better validity on the sync results. You just aren't allowed to have multiple email addresses for a contact. However, a contact you may have just updated to add an email address ends up having it removed without any indication, which certainly is NOT the desired result.

While I would NOT conclude that this exonerates my CardDAV server it remains curious.