MozillaZine

TB NAG

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
slub

Post Posted October 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm

TB 68.1.1
I get a TB notification to update, but I'm up to date. How do I get rid of this nag?

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 14th, 2019, 3:54 pm

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird

Try deleting the updates directory at C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\ . When you get a newer update it should create the missing directory tree automatically.

sfhowes

Post Posted October 16th, 2019, 11:54 am

tanstaafl wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_folders_in_the_profile_-_Thunderbird

Try deleting the updates directory at C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\ . When you get a newer update it should create the missing directory tree automatically.

I believe the current location is C:\ProgramData\Mozilla\updates\F71A7C8BDDD23FE7, where F71... may be different. Note that this updates folder has subfolders for every channel of Firefox and TB, but this is evident by viewing updates.xml in a text editor.

morat

Post Posted October 16th, 2019, 12:53 pm

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 16th, 2019, 2:54 pm

My mistake.

I have a C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\updates directory with a empty 8B01133CC9AC266D subdirectory. Entering %LOCALAPPDATA%\Thunderbird\updates in the windows start field opens windows explorer at that directory. It has a timestamp of 9/19/2019 . Thunderbird 68.1 was first offered on 9/11/2019 so I don't think its leftover from version 60.*

Entering %ProgramData%\Mozilla\updates in the windows start field has nine subdirectories. Some have just a update-config.json file, others have a updates child directory plus a updates.xml and/or update-config.json file. Opening updates.xml in Notepad and searching for Thunderbird or Firefox lets you see which application its for. Mine have a mix of Thunderbird and Firefox, plus some child directories that I have no idea because they only have a update-config.json file.

I think the split (having two Update locations) occurred with version 60 (due to a new Mozilla Toolkit library), and Thunderbird still creates but doesn't use the older location that is documented in the KB article. I just deleted the contents of C:\ProgramData\Mozilla\updates and it doesn't seem to have done any harm to Thunderbird or Firefox.

sfhowes

Post Posted October 16th, 2019, 4:08 pm

There is a support thread where a few users mention they will delete the Program Data folder and see if it fixes the problem of unnecessary update notifications: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1269873

Return to Thunderbird Support