MozillaZine

all mail folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
comet52

Post Posted October 16th, 2019, 6:45 am

I read the following note here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29 on improving performance and followed this specific step:

"If you are using Gmail with an IMAP account, unsubscribe the "All Mail" folder, unsubscribe it, exit, and then delete both "All Mail." and "All Mail.msf". The All Mail folder may double the amount of disk space used by Thunderbird."

Lo and behold the perpetual slowness disappeared... for a moment. Then Thunderbird started to rebuild and download thousands of all mail messages. What am I missing? I cannot delete the all mail folder or I would.

Also I am not sure if that is a type or what, but "unsubscribe the "All Mail" folder, unsubscribe it" - does this mean there is a second unsub somewhere or is the author just repeating himself?

JYLD

Post Posted October 16th, 2019, 8:35 am

You skipped the unsubscribe part of the instructions. Right click all mail folder and select properties. Then the sync tab and uncheck the box to keep local copies.

comet52

Post Posted October 17th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Unchecked the box and re-deleted the all mail files but it again reloaded thousands of mails into all mail when I restarted.

JYLD

Post Posted October 17th, 2019, 5:37 pm

comet52 wrote:Unchecked the box and re-deleted the all mail files but it again reloaded thousands of mails into all mail when I restarted.

Try using the menus, tools - Options - Account Settings - Synchronization & Storage - Advanced and make sure the All Mail, Important, and Starred Folders are unchecked. Then close Thunderbird. The start Thunderbird with the -p options and select "work offline". Then delete the All Mail, Important, and Starred Folders. Then double check that the Synchronization & Storage settings for those folders are still unchecked. Then close thunderbird. Then restart Thunderbird this time online.

comet52

Post Posted October 22nd, 2019, 7:03 am

JYLD wrote:
comet52 wrote:Unchecked the box and re-deleted the all mail files but it again reloaded thousands of mails into all mail when I restarted.

Try using the menus, tools - Options - Account Settings - Synchronization & Storage - Advanced and make sure the All Mail, Important, and Starred Folders are unchecked. Then close Thunderbird. The start Thunderbird with the -p options and select "work offline". Then delete the All Mail, Important, and Starred Folders. Then double check that the Synchronization & Storage settings for those folders are still unchecked. Then close thunderbird. Then restart Thunderbird this time online.

Tried this but it won't let me delete any of the folders. Right click option is greyed out; file, delete folder option is unresponsive on All Mail. On Important/Starred it asks if I want to delete the folder, I answer yes but the folder remains. ](*,)

JYLD

Post Posted October 22nd, 2019, 10:30 am

It sounds like you haven't managed to uncheck the synchronization of the All Mail, Starred, and Important folders. Double check that.

Also, it could be that after you make sure you get the sync on these folders uncheck in both Tools - Account Services - Sync - Advanced AND by right clicking on each folder going to properties and its sync tab, that you have to do the following:

Shutdown Thunderbird. Start Thunderbird with the -p command line switch. Select work offline and then select start Thunderbird. Then double check that the sync boxes for the folders are still unchecked. Then try and delete the folders while you are offline. Then shutdown thunderbird. Then restart Thunderbird online.

Since the folders you want to delete are protected by GMail and GMail won't ever let those folders be deleted, I'm not surprised you can't delete them when Thunderbird is online and connected to Gmail. Want you are trying to do is have those folders deleted on Thunderbird and never sync with Gmail. They will still exist on GMail if you go to Gmail in firefox. GMail will never let those folders be deleted on GMail itself.

Return to Thunderbird Support