MozillaZine

Is google pop up legit?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cherry lane

Post Posted October 18th, 2019, 11:07 am

Today when using the Thunderbird program I received a google pop up, is it legitimate? It says "Mozilla Thunderbird Email wants to access your google account." I have never received this before. I'm concerned about putting in my gmail password.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 18th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Its normal (and legitimate) if you are using OAuth2 for authentication. However, you should not be seeing that unless you are in the midst of adding a new Gmail account. If you're unsure whats going on I suggest you use "help -> restart with add-ons disabled" and see if the popup doesn't appear again. I haven't heard of any malicious Thunderbird add-ons before, but its always a possibility.

What were you doing when the popup occurred?

Note: You don't see that popup if you use "normal password" instead, but that requires you to use a browser to configure your google account to accept "insecure passwords" (no, they're not insecure, that's just pro-oauth marketing hype). Its better IMHO to use OAuth2 as Google has a habit of occasionally resetting the "use insecure passwords" checkbox.

cherry lane

Post Posted October 18th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Thank you for the reply and the info. I was using my thunderbird as normal and trying to send an email when it suddenly popped up. I had been using it to send email previously without issue. I ended up putting my password in as I needed to send some important emails and google sent me a security alert email saying "thunderbird was granted access to your account if you did not grant this access..." etc etc. So I assume it's ok. I haven't had any issues since. Do I check if I'm using OAuth2 in thunderbird or in gmail?

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 18th, 2019, 2:27 pm

"Do I check if I'm using OAuth2 in thunderbird or in gmail?"

In Thunderbird.

cherry lane

Post Posted October 18th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Thank you. Found it and I'm using OAuth2 in thunderbird. I wonder why it happened all of a sudden. I was not adding a new gmail account.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 18th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Sometimes a account setting get changed to the default setting when you upgrade. Its pretty rare, but happens.

BruceAWittmeier

Post Posted October 19th, 2019, 4:42 pm

This is the same alert I was trying to identify on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3053246

I changed my password type to "normal" as I'm tired of the alert that occurs on my cell phone and PC when I use both for email access. I have not yet verified the problem is resolved but I assume it will go away.

Thanks, cherry lane for asking the question better than I did. :)

Edit: bad choice -- now with the above setting I get prompted to change my password which I don't want to do. Changed it back to OAuth2.
~ I'm only here to Pay it Forward. ~

"I often take a very long windy road to my destination. When I arrive I often wonder how I missed the shortcut".

Return to Thunderbird Support