Authenciation now required

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TRAINSGWR

Authenciation now required

Post by TRAINSGWR »

Upto now I have been using TB version 38.5.11 without any problems but now while I can receive, sending fails and I get this error message

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Authentication required. Please verify that your email address is correct in your account settings and try again.

now I checked Account setting and the e-mail address is correct then if I leave it & go to say Firefox then back to TB, it is sending - connecting and just sits there doing basically nothing - progress appears to be nearly 100%.
I uninstalled TB & re-installed & still nothing working outgoing.

It works OK sending from my ISP webmail using the same e-mail address, etc so what can I do about TB please?

Ron
TRAINSGWR

Re: Authenciation now required

Post by TRAINSGWR »

For some unknown reason, after I changed back to Outlook, all has come good in TB.

Ron
Ron
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

One possibility is that you were using a SMTP server that was not configured to login with a username/password. That typically works fine as long as you are not sending a message to another domain. If you try to send to somebody in another domain it complains, wanting you to login to verify you are a legitimate user.

Another possibility is that you used a different From: address than required.
TRAINSGWR

Post by TRAINSGWR »

I think Murphy showed up as I hadn't changed a thing for years & it wouldn;t even let me send on to myself or some others in the same ISP name.
Ron