MozillaZine

IMAP and trash being emptied

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rvalent3

Post Posted October 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm

A few months due to a corrupted email, a rep referred by Comcast converted my email settings from SNTP to IMAP. I noticed today that since then messages in my trash folder are only being retained for 21 days and all of my messages are on a Comcast server.. In talking with Comcast they tell me TB is not a supported product and they can't help me.

Is this a TB problem or a Comcast problem. Before this conversion, my Trash folder was on my local drive, not on a Comcast server. How can I get this correct so I am not losing the messages in my Trash folder??

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 26th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Is this a TB problem or a Comcast problem.

Actually, it's neither. Instead it's a problem of understanding and interpretation.

First, to clarify terms, SNTP is not an incoming email protocol, and the term you intended was likely SMTP. What you probably had before was a POP type account, in which all messages are downloaded from the Comcast server inbox folder to the local computer where it would appear in the Inbox folder of Thunderbird. Messages you deleted would then be moved by Thunderbird to the Trash folder, also on the local computer.

With an IMAP server, the messages are stored on the Comcast server and only displayed in Thunderbird. (That's a bit of a simplistic explanation but should be sufficient for this discussion.) An IMAP account can't set the Trash folder to be on the local computer.

What you can try to retain your trash messages is right click on the name of that Trash folder and then on the "Retention policy" tab. Select the option "Don't delete any messages". I say "try" because you'll have to see if the Comcast server will honor that instruction from Thunderbird.

rvalent3

Post Posted October 26th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Thank you very much and sorry about the terminology...not really a computer person. I will give that a try and monitor for a few days.

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 26th, 2019, 6:12 pm

You're welcome, and good luck.

Return to Thunderbird Support