MozillaZine

[SOLVED] Help needed moving POP3 email to new profile

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tomdkat

Post Posted November 1st, 2019, 1:34 pm

Hi! I'm working on a problem where I think a corrupt Thunderbird profile is resulting in strange email account and address book behavior. The "problem" is I don't want to transfer the content of the current profile to a new profile, but I want to effectively "build" the new profile from scratch. The current profile has 6 or so email accounts, with them being a mixture of POP3 and IMAP accounts. My plan is to move each account from the old profile to the new one, one account at a time. The IMAP accounts are fairly easy in that I can recreate the account and the mail will be downloaded for me. The POP3 accounts are more tricky because I don't necessarily want to have email that has already been downloaded to be downloaded again and I want to migrate the email that is currently on the system migrated to the new profile.

I'll also need to deal with mail filters and some folders.

Anyway, I was looking at this article:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird

and that describes what I'll need to copy but really doesn't address some details. For example, I copied the prefs.js, cert8.db, cert9.db, key3.db, key4.db, and logins.json files to my new profile directory as well as the "Mail" directory for the single POP3 account I wanted to migrate to the new profile. When I started Thunderbird and chose the new profile, it created the email accounts from the old profile and proceeded to download mail for the one POP3 account I transferred from the old profile.

So, maybe I need to create the POP3 account first, not enter the password so it won't download email, and then move the mail files over?

In any event, if anyone has any tips they're willing to share, I would be greatly appreciative! :)

Thanks in advance!

Peace...
Last edited by tomdkat on November 1st, 2019, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomdkat

Post Posted November 1st, 2019, 1:40 pm

This forum rocks!!! After writing the post above, I tried my last idea (creating the POP3 account first and then move the mail files over) and that worked exactly as I wanted. Posting the above got me thinking and I managed to solve my problem. :) If anyone is interested in the "gory details", let me know and I'll post them, in this thread. :)

Peace...

Return to Thunderbird Support