MozillaZine

Problems with 68.2.1

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
scuffer

Post Posted November 1st, 2019, 3:04 pm

I just updated Thunderbird to 68.2.1 and there is a bunch of strangeness. For one thing, the default font changed. For another clicking on links does not bring them up in my browser (Firefox). I'm using Thunderbird in text mode (no html) to display my messages.

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 1st, 2019, 4:27 pm

For another clicking on links does not bring them up in my browser (Firefox).

That's actually an operating system issue. When you click on a link in Thunderbird it sends a call to the operating system to launch the default browser. When the OS does not "remember" what application is to be the default, nothing happens, just as you have seen. See this link to set the default browser -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser

scuffer

Post Posted November 1st, 2019, 9:49 pm

DanRaisch wrote:
For another clicking on links does not bring them up in my browser (Firefox).

That's actually an operating system issue. When you click on a link in Thunderbird it sends a call to the operating system to launch the default browser. When the OS does not "remember" what application is to be the default, nothing happens, just as you have seen. See this link to set the default browser -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser

Sorry, I should have said before that I am using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Nothing changed with my browser which was working with Thunderbird immediately before the update and didn't immediately after the update.

However, just now I made the font larger (from 13 to 17) and now the links are working immediately after I did that. Perhaps there is a registration problem between my mouse pointer and the smaller fonts, i.e., I may have thought I was clicking on a link but I actually wasn't.

I don't know why the update suddenly made my font size smaller, but that seems to have been the entire problem. Everything looks to be working correctly now.

scuffer

Post Posted November 1st, 2019, 10:00 pm

scuffer wrote:I don't know why the update suddenly made my font size smaller, but that seems to have been the entire problem. Everything looks to be working correctly now.

No, I spoke too soon. Normally I run my email program inside a Sandboxie sandbox. When I click on a link there it opens my browser inside the same sandbox if it's not open already and opens the link in the browser. That's stopped working with this update. In my previous message I was running Thunderbird and Firefox outside of the sandbox. That's working fine.

This isn't the first time something has broken between Sandboxie and an update from Mozilla. I'm going to have to move this conversation to the Sandboxie forums.

ian_g

Post Posted November 3rd, 2019, 9:17 am

I just upgraded as well to 68.2.1 (from a pre-68 release) and had the default "folder sidebar" font (in classic view) - and the display font in the Preferences menus - change to a different and slightly larger font. And there doesn't seem to be a preference menu to adjust this. But it looks like the fonts used in the Accounts Settings tools are unchanged. Any idea what has happened? And of how to set the font back to what it was before? It's not fatal but it is kinda annoying . This is OS X 10.3.6.

TRAINSGWR

Post Posted November 3rd, 2019, 5:57 pm

One of the reasons I haven't changed from V38.5 which does what I want without any more bells & whistles.

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm

This is OS X 10.3.6.

You should probably start a new topic and note the OS in the subject.

Return to Thunderbird Support