MozillaZine

Thunderbird very slow, uses 100% of CPU for first 20 minutes

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
flaflashr

Post Posted November 3rd, 2019, 9:34 am

Thunderbird 68.1.1 on Fedora 30, all patches up to date. Somehow, I got the "Daily" version of TBird. I don't know how or when that happened. I did not do it intentionally.

For about the last month, Thunderbird has been very slow when I start it up, to the point of being unusable. When I select an email to read, it takes a minute or more to display the email. During this time, Fedora reports that Thunderbird is using 100% of the CPU (1 full core). This behavior lasts for maybe 20 minutes, then it settles down and behaves normally,.

I have 2 extensions supporting my Calendar -- Lighning; and Provider for Google Calendar.

Help plz?

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am

Daily builds are inherently risky. It will also break many more add-ons. I suggest you uninstall it and install the latest released Linux build from thunderbird.net . That will not delete your existing profile. However, when you install a release build of version 68.* it will ignore any daily and beta specific profiles and want to create a new one for release builds. You can abort the new account wizard and move a copy of your old profile over the new one it created. help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder will open your file manager at the current profile.

If you had used a version of Thunderbird that was packaged with Fedora (rather than installing it from the thunderbird.net web site) it will store profiles by default in a different location. However, I think it should use the same profiles.ini file.

Return to Thunderbird Support