This never happened in Win 7--copy of sent mail to trash

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
miss_kitty

This never happened in Win 7--copy of sent mail to trash

Post by miss_kitty »

I have had Thunderbird since the 0.0 series. I just moved to Windows 10 and when I send email, a copy unread, is slipped into the trash. On my old system I had a comcast acct as POP and the gmail as smtp. Now I have only the gmail smtp set up. What's the deal? Anyone know? I see there was a bug and it's been open for 10 years, but it didn't happen on the old computer before. Does anyone know how to stop it? I am really hating moving to a new computer.
Windows 10
DanRaisch

Re: This never happened in Win 7--copy of sent mail to trash

Post by DanRaisch »

SMTP is an outbound email server, not for receiving messages, for which you would use either POP or IMAP. So, in regard to the Gmail account, how is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
If that Gmail account is set up as IMAP, there are a few anomalies in the way that Gmail implements IMAP but I've never heard of it putting outgoing messages into the trash.
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

argggggh! That took forever. I had to sign in on Chrome because lunched my firefox profile on my old computer, the new one has a major staying on problem, and I'm feeling like I lost a huge part of myself--I guess I'm in mourning for this Windows 7 machine I have to use again. But enough about me.

It's IMAP. Same as the one on this guy. And I just checked, the same thing is happening here. Problem solved. Thankyou so much. That just started, because I write a lot of emails, have a load of trash and have to trawl through the trash to find stuff. Never fond that before. Last update or something?

Now I have to find how to change my browser preference.

BTW, Thank you very much!
Windows 10
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You’re welcome.

To what browser preference are you referring?
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

I'm taking Firefox off as the default since it is totally fubared, and switch to chrome, just on windows 7 here. And I had been so thoroughly though the nuts and bolts of settings in Windows, I found it sharpish. And I just completed a deal to send the new computer back, because it won't stop shutting down. Really a thrilling week or so.
Windows 10