time change on one emailer between gmail and Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
miss_kitty

time change on one emailer between gmail and Thunderbird

Post by miss_kitty »

I'm on a list. I get emails from a group of people. One person just got a chromebook. She set up everything, and now, when she emails me, the time is changed one hour ahead between the time google gets it and it hits Thunderbird. Since no one has said anything, I imagine they are not using an email client, just getting it directly from gmail. Is there something I can do to make it stop doing this? We have longish conversations sometimes, and this puts her responses at the end, out of order.

Thank you very much for your help.
Windows 10
tanstaafl

Re: time change on one emailer between gmail and Thunderbird

Post by tanstaafl »

Enable view -> sort by -> threaded. Threading can use the References: and In-Reply-To: headers to sort the messages in a conversation. That doesn't depend upon the date. Its possible you might still have a problem (it depends upon what message she replies to) but this should reduce how often it occurs.

The only other thing I can think of is to edit the Date: header in her message using the Header Tools Lite add-on but that would be inconvenient and the add-on doesn't support version 68.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Stop_threading_by_subject
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

tanstaafl wrote:Enable view -> sort by -> threaded. Threading can use the References: and In-Reply-To: headers to sort the messages in a conversation. That doesn't depend upon the date. Its possible you might still have a problem (it depends upon what message she replies to) but this should reduce how often it occurs.

The only other thing I can think of is to edit the Date: header in her message using the Header Tools Lite add-on but that would be inconvenient and the add-on doesn't support version 68.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Stop_threading_by_subject
I have it threaded by time. So obviously she's coming in at the end. By subject, it's a mess. It's not helpful for me to change my threading. I might as well use gmail instead, because that's the default there. Thank you though. :)
Windows 10
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Would this be avoided if you used the actual Received date?

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ived-date/
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

sfhowes wrote:Would this be avoided if you used the actual Received date?

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ived-date/
I believe I am using the received date (and time). When I check in the gmail page, her emails are in the thread in the order posted with the time it reached me. So if I receive an email from this one person, it's in order on gmail, but changed in Thunderbird. An hour is added to that time, hers only, when gmail sends them to me. Which knocks them out of order, hers go to the end of all the received mail, because somewhere between gmail and Thunderbird the correct time, the time actually received, is altered either by gmail or Thunderbird or some other damn thing in my computer on the way over. I'm talking about 100-150 emails far this morning, say the last 5 hours--they are all the same date.

I am looking for a way to stop this unauthorized time adjustment from happening.
Windows 10
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

So I got it fixed. I felt bad people were taking their time to help here, and none of them were solutions. I mean, I felt bad, because I didn't want people to waste their time.

I wrote the person whose email was acting up and asked her to check her time settings for the UTC deal. She did and did a thing emailed me, it came in with the correct time stamp and told me "The only thing I did was change it from auto update DST to manual. No idea why that fixed it."

This computer I'm on did not update its time this year and I had to manually do it, so that's what I thought, after all my thinking about this, it might be her. Especially since it started with the new thing and I could tell her when she was using another device last night, because, no time problem.

Sorry I used y'all to whittle it down. :D Thank you very much for your help and attention.
Windows 10