TB v60 not empting YahooMail Trash folder emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
videobruce

TB v60 not empting YahooMail Trash folder emails

Post by videobruce »

I tried doing a search on this, but it seemed everything else came up, not this.

Using Thunderbird v60 YahooMail will move the mail to Trash, but that's it. The Trash folder does NOT get emptied in YahooMail web site, but does in the TB program. I looked hi and low in their Web site, but there is nothing that addresses this.

Any solution?
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
tanstaafl

Re: TB v60 not empting YahooMail Trash folder emails

Post by tanstaafl »

Your title says Thunderbird doesn't empty yahoomail trash but your post says it does, and implies you have a problem with yahoo webmail. Which is it?

See https://www.lifewire.com/empty-trash-yahoo-1174510 if your problem is with webmail.
For both POP and IMAP accounts you can check "empty trash on exit" in the server settings. If your problem is with Thunderbird, are you using a POP or IMAP account? A POP account uses its own trash folder, not the one on the POP server.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

The Trash folder does NOT get emptied in YahooMail web site, but does in the TB program.
The title & the post say the same thing, just in different terms.

TB does not empty Yahoo's Trash folder. Is that better?
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes.

Did you check "empty trash on exit" in the server settings?

If its a POP account you are out of luck. The only folder on the mail server that the POP3 protocol knows about is the inbox, so there is no mechanism for a POP account to empty the trash folder used by webmail. That is not a restriction imposed by Thunderbird, the same restriction applies to other email clients. If its a IMAP account checking "empty trash on exit" should solve the problem as long as you're using the same trash folder that yahoo webmail does. Its possible to use any folder as the trash folder in a IMAP account.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Yes, I had empty on exit checked (always do that with any former POP services (ISP or otherwise).
And yes, it is a POP account (which I should of stated, my bad).

OK, then why was my trash always emptied when I was using TWC/Spectrum's POP email (or at least I thought it was)? :-k
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Perhaps you're actually using a IMAP account. Look in server settings at the Server Type:. If its IMAP Mail Server its a IMAP account.

You can set a retention policy in the properties for a Trash folder (using the folder pane). I assume that would be the rough equivalent of emptying the trash. However, it would occur when a message was X days old, not when you exited Thunderbird.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

All are POP!
The other POP service I use (usually accessed via TB) is Horde/Webmail and that has an option on their site to empty trash for different time periods. I have that set for daily.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"The other POP service I use (usually accessed via TB) is Horde/Webmail and that has an option on their site to empty trash for different time periods. I have that set for daily."

Nothing in that trash folder should be due to Thunderbird, if you're using only POP accounts.