Attach file - search window not active

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bplayer

Attach file - search window not active

Post by Bplayer »

TB 60.9.1, Win10 Home 1909

Open TB and click Write, Attach to bring up file explorer window. The search box with the magnifying glass icon is shown (top left) but the text area is inaccessible to enter a search string.

Outside of TB this search box is available on the standard File Explorer, and other apps that use a file explorer for files (e.g., Word, Excel, iTunes).

I have tried using TB in Safe Mode, but the search box is not available for use. Any suggestions?
tanstaafl

Re: Attach file - search window not active

Post by tanstaafl »

Works for me with 68.2.2 and 60.9.1 under Windows 10 Home version 1903. Perhaps the problem is you are using version 1909. Let me update to that and see if I have the same problem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -home-1909
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

After updating to 1909 I can't select the search files field in 60.9.1 but I can in 68.2.2. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use file -> attach -> files or use the attach list box. I noticed that If I select another field and use the Tab key repeatably to cycle through the different edit fields in the file explorer window it will select the search field in 68.2.2 but won't in 60.9.1.

I checked that feature works in "em client" too (another email client) so it sounds like you ran into a bug in Thunderbird 60.9.1. I don't believe they plan on offering any more updates to 60.* unless something like Gmail changing what was needed for OAuth2 support to work (with no announcement) occurs in the near future.

I installed the AttachExtraTools add-on and used it to select a favorite folder to attach files from. But the search field in that window had the same problem. That is probably because it relies upon the same file explorer window, it just initializes it to use a different directory.
Bplayer

Post by Bplayer »

Thanks @tanstaafl. I had a suspicion that it was 1909 related. This is low use activity so not a significant issue. Not looking forward to the TB v68 upgrade as that invalidates more add-ons (just a couple of useful ones - price of progress)