spell check i and I as a word

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mathbook

spell check i and I as a word

Post by mathbook »

My TBird 60.x accepts the letter i alone as a word. other program change it to I when alone. Is there a fix for that?
JYLD

Re: spell check i and I as a word

Post by JYLD »

Never noticed that before, but you are correct. My cell phone spell checker has the same failing, but at least offers the manual correction if you select it.

I don't know if there is an addon that fixes this. An special macro could be written using autoit, autohotkey, or macro express to auto correct the stand alone i to I. Same way word has an auto correct feature.
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

I just wrote an autocorret macro in macro express that makes the correction. It works as well as the autocorrect feature in Word. Macro Express is not free but autoit and autohotkey are both free.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know if the grammer checker add-on would help in this case but you might find it useful when you eventually upgrade to version 68.*
morat

Post by morat »

JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Besides the macro programs I mentioned above there are a few free and paid dedicated text expansion/autocorrect programs available, that work with all windows programs. Some also have MAC versions.

See Word Expander https://download.cnet.com/WordExpander/ ... 77294.html Note: This app may not work with Windows 10, not sure.

PhraseExpress seems to be the successor to Word Expander and it works with windows 7/8/10 (also may work with XP and Vista) https://www.phraseexpress.com/download/

Also see apps recommended at https://techwiser.com/text-expander-apps-for-windows/
mathbook

Post by mathbook »

The macro builders are beyond me but thanks - I'll proofread anyway. However, I did edit the personal dictionary to remove an incorrect addition. I saw an article about the built in dictionary corrector (which has words and codes like /p (some other letter) where I changed something to do with the word "Is" (capital I) and now the spell checker flags Is all the time but "is" is OK . I don't know the file name. Does it sound familiar to someone who can name the file? I should have made a note of it before using it.
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

When Thunderbird flags "Is" as incorrect have you tried clicking the add word button to fix your problem.

Thunderbird's personal dictionary. It is in Linux/Unix text file format with just LF (hex 0A) at the end of each line.
It can be edited in Wordpad (but NOT Word). HOWEVER when it is saved Wordpad will save it in WINDOWS
text file format. Windows text file format uses CR LF (hex 0D 0A) at the end of each line. Thunderbird can't read
the file in Windows text file format. So after you edit the file in Wordpad you have to then edit the file in a Hex Editor
and do a search and replace in Hex. Search for 0D 0A and replace it with 0A . After that the file is ready for Thunderbird.

Location of personal dictionary in Thunderbird:
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\vmurvfxa.default\persdict.dat

You can download a very nice hex editor should you need it from this link http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... /xvi32.htm
mathbook

Post by mathbook »

All is working today. I added "Is" to the personal dictionary as suggested above. Then it started flagging the lower case i after that. Weird. This web page does not flag the lower case i on my reply though. Thanks all.