MozillaZine

TB 68.2.2: Increase folder pane font size?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

User avatar
 
Posts: 948
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 12:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Post Posted November 28th, 2019, 7:09 am

I have TB 68.2.2 and would like to know how to increase the the font size in the folder pane.
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v68, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Pro

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 122363
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted November 28th, 2019, 7:55 am

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts

"You can change the font, font size, and other attributes of fonts used in the folder pane, message-list pane, menus, and elsewhere in the user interface (UI). To do so, add the relevant code shown below into your userChrome.css file, making adjustments as desired to suit your own font preferences." http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

#folderTree > treechildren {font-size: 12px; font-family: Arial;}

Just play with the "12px" value, increasing it until you are happy with the results.

Flycaster

User avatar
 
Posts: 948
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 12:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Post Posted November 28th, 2019, 9:32 am

DanRaisch wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts

"You can change the font, font size, and other attributes of fonts used in the folder pane, message-list pane, menus, and elsewhere in the user interface (UI). To do so, add the relevant code shown below into your userChrome.css file, making adjustments as desired to suit your own font preferences." http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

#folderTree > treechildren {font-size: 12px; font-family: Arial;}

Just play with the "12px" value, increasing it until you are happy with the results.


I'm not the greatest at UserChrome, but have used it successfully in the past. So, I simply added the above code line to existing UserChrome codes and saved. However, didn't seem to make any difference, even after upping the font to 20px. Here's a screen shot from Notepad++:

/* Thunderbird userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#folderTree { background-color: gold !important; }
#threadTree { background-color: pink !important; }
#expandedHeaderView { background-color: cyan !important; }


@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts */
/* Global UI font - the leading '*' is not a typo */
* { font-size: 24pt !important;
font-family: Arial !important;
font-weight: Bold !important;
}

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
/* Menu font */
menu, menulist, menuitem {
font-family: Arial !important;
font-size: 15pt !important;
font-weight: bold !important;
font-color: red !important;
}

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
/* Folder pane font */
#folderTree > treechildren {font-size: 12px; font-family: Arial !important;}
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v68, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Pro

Eckard

User avatar
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: September 5th, 2011, 8:17 am
Location: Paris (not TX)

Post Posted November 28th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Flycaster wrote:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
/* Folder pane font */
#folderTree > treechildren {font-size: 12px; font-family: Arial !important;}

Try this css code instead :

Code: Select all
/* Folderpane font */
#folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
font-family: Arial !important;
font-size: 12px !important; }

And don't repeat the "@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");" line.
I deleted it even at the top of my userChrome.css file and all my css codes are working.

Flycaster

User avatar
 
Posts: 948
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 12:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Post Posted November 28th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Eckard wrote:
Flycaster wrote:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
/* Folder pane font */
#folderTree > treechildren {font-size: 12px; font-family: Arial !important;}

Try this css code instead :

Code: Select all
/* Folderpane font */
#folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
font-family: Arial !important;
font-size: 12px !important; }

And don't repeat the "@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");" line.
I deleted it even at the top of my userChrome.css file and all my css codes are working.


Did exactly what you suggested, but unfortunately, no change in the font.
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v68, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Pro

morat
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 6:29 pm

Post Posted November 28th, 2019, 10:31 pm

The css entry by Eckard works here.

Try this:

Code: Select all
/* Thunderbird userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
  font-family: Impact !important;
  font-size: 12px !important;
  color: orange !important;
}

Did the font and color change in the folder pane after restarting the email client?

The font impact is a more noticeable change from the default font than the font arial.

Eckard

User avatar
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: September 5th, 2011, 8:17 am
Location: Paris (not TX)

Post Posted November 29th, 2019, 2:00 am

Flycaster wrote:Did exactly what you suggested, but unfortunately, no change in the font.

Go to Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Advanced Configuration > and click on "Config Editor".
In the about:config pane search for the option name "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets" :

Image

If it has the value "false", toggle it to "true" and restart Thunderbird.

Flycaster

User avatar
 
Posts: 948
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 12:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Post Posted November 29th, 2019, 11:24 am

Eckard wrote:
Flycaster wrote:Did exactly what you suggested, but unfortunately, no change in the font.

Go to Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Advanced Configuration > and click on "Config Editor".
In the about:config pane search for the option name "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets" :

Image

If it has the value "false", toggle it to "true" and restart Thunderbird.


Already on "true"
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v68, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Pro

Flycaster

User avatar
 
Posts: 948
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 12:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Post Posted November 29th, 2019, 11:34 am

morat wrote:The css entry by Eckard works here.

Try this:

Code: Select all
/* Thunderbird userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
  font-family: Impact !important;
  font-size: 12px !important;
  color: orange !important;
}

Did the font and color change in the folder pane after restarting the email client?

The font impact is a more noticeable change from the default font than the font arial.


This code didn't work, either.

I am using Account Color Options. Could this add-on interfere with the codes?
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v68, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Pro

Eckard

User avatar
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: September 5th, 2011, 8:17 am
Location: Paris (not TX)

Post Posted November 29th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Flycaster wrote:
This code didn't work, either.
Did you test morat's css code separately, without the rest of your other css codes ?
This is what I get with morat's code :


Image

I also tested the rest of your codes as shown in your second message. It results in gigantic font sizes in menus and in the thread pane !!

I am using Account Color Options. Could this add-on interfere with the codes?

Probably this add-on interferes with certain css codes since it allocates individual font and background colors to each account. Why don't you test the css codes while Account Colors is disabled ?

morat
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 6:29 pm

Post Posted November 29th, 2019, 2:09 pm

This thread isn't the first thread where the op can't get the userChrome.css file to work.

Other thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3056331

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 20543
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted November 30th, 2019, 5:29 am

Flycaster wrote:This code didn't work, either.

Checked the usual suspects?

#1. chrome folder isn't named Chrome.

#2. userChrome.css is named exactly that and not in the example file, Userchrome.css or userChrome.css.txt and other variations.

#3. You are putting entries into userChrome.css and not userContent.css.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Flycaster

User avatar
 
Posts: 948
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 12:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Post Posted November 30th, 2019, 8:01 am

Frank Lion wrote:
Flycaster wrote:This code didn't work, either.

Checked the usual suspects?

#1. chrome folder isn't named Chrome.

#2. userChrome.css is named exactly that and not in the example file, Userchrome.css or userChrome.css.txt and other variations.

#3. You are putting entries into userChrome.css and not userContent.css.


#'s 1, 2, 3 are all correct. I have disabled all add-ons, enabled the default theme and have left the code as I had originally shown with Eckhard's addition, yet there are no changes anywhere within the TB interface...everything is at default levels???
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v68, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Pro

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 20543
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted November 30th, 2019, 8:24 am

Flycaster wrote:yet there are no changes anywhere within the TB interface...everything is at default levels???

Hmm. Already knowing that the about:config entry is correct, doesn't leave us much else.

Long Shot - Menu>Help>Troubleshoot Info>find about:profiles link on left and hit it>Open Folder for the profile in use and check the userChrome.css in that profile really is the right one you've added entries to.

After that, I'd be just guessing.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Flycaster

User avatar
 
Posts: 948
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 12:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Post Posted November 30th, 2019, 9:39 am

Frank Lion wrote:
Flycaster wrote:yet there are no changes anywhere within the TB interface...everything is at default levels???

Hmm. Already knowing that the about:config entry is correct, doesn't leave us much else.

Long Shot - Menu>Help>Troubleshoot Info>find about:profiles link on left and hit it>Open Folder for the profile in use and check the userChrome.css in that profile really is the right one you've added entries to.

After that, I'd be just guessing.


Unfortunately, everything checks out...and yet, no change in fonts???
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v68, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Pro

Return to Thunderbird Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests