TB 68.2.2: Increase folder pane font size?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
morat

Re: TB 68.2.2: Increase folder pane font size?

Post by morat »

Are you using AutoConfig? If the general.config.filename pref does not exist, then you are not using AutoConfig.

Are you using a userChrome.js hack? If there are no .js or .xml files in the chrome folder, then you are not using a userChrome.js hack.

Are you using the user.js file in the profile folder? A syntax error in the user.js file could cause problems.

Is there another file besides the channel-prefs.js file in the <install folder>\defaults\pref folder? A syntax error in these files could cause problems.

Exoteeth had a odd problem with the userChrome.css file.
Exoteeth wrote:It turns out it had to do with the prefs file, which I substituted from another FF build. What happens is I didn't have FF setup the same as the other build, so the substituted prefs file caused a lot of functions to not work, including CSS.
More info: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14822439
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

morat wrote:Are you using AutoConfig? If the general.config.filename pref does not exist, then you are not using AutoConfig.

Are you using a userChrome.js hack? If there are no .js or .xml files in the chrome folder, then you are not using a userChrome.js hack.

Are you using the user.js file in the profile folder? A syntax error in the user.js file could cause problems.

Is there another file besides the channel-prefs.js file in the <install folder>\defaults\pref folder? A syntax error in these files could cause problems.

Exoteeth had a odd problem with the userChrome.css file.
Exoteeth wrote:It turns out it had to do with the prefs file, which I substituted from another FF build. What happens is I didn't have FF setup the same as the other build, so the substituted prefs file caused a lot of functions to not work, including CSS.
More info: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14822439
Not very familiar with ".js". Don't know if I am using AutoConfig. Looked for it in Options>General...no AutoConfig. Could be looking in wrong place?
No .js or xml files in Chrome folder.
no user.js in Profile folder, although there are 4 prefs.js files (prefs-1, preefs-2.js, prefs-3.js, prefsNew.js) there.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
morat

Post by morat »

If the general.config.filename pref does not exist, then you are not using AutoConfig.

Tools > Options > Advanced > Config Editor > Search: general.config.filename

IMHO, downgrading to an older version is not really supported.

A newer version may very well irrevocably change things in a user's profile which will render it broken in an older version.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

morat wrote:If the general.config.filename pref does not exist, then you are not using AutoConfig.

Tools > Options > Advanced > Config Editor > Search: general.config.filename

IMHO, downgrading to an older version is not really supported.

A newer version may very well irrevocably change things in a user's profile which will render it broken in an older version.
Did the search for "general.config.filename" in Config Editor, doesn't exist. Guess I'll just have to live with what I got...at least at this time. Still enjoy TB. Again, thanks for your help.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Flycaster wrote:Unfortunately, everything checks out...and yet, no change in fonts???
OK. Run me through exactly how and when you created the chrome folder and the files within it.

Also, what's the last part of the profile name that you're using on 68+?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Frank Lion wrote:
Flycaster wrote:Unfortunately, everything checks out...and yet, no change in fonts???
OK. Run me through exactly how and when you created the chrome folder and the files within it.

Also, what's the last part of the profile name that you're using on 68+?
As for how I created the chrome folder and when, I'm not really sure as I don't do these things too often. But, nonetheless, I think that I added a Chrome folder to Profiles just after updating to 68+ and then added userChrome.css to that folder. I don't remember exactly how I added userChrome.css, but I'm pretty sure that I followed instructions from Mozilla. Also, I believe that I did it right as when I open the userChrome file, it is in Notepad++.

The last part of the profile name is: ......950.default
markus__

Post by markus__ »

Sorry for interluding/hijacking.

In my case I already have a `userChrome.css` and it works everywhere except the folder pane regarding the font size.

However, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14850833 brought something interesting to light (to me): I am able to apply the orange color for example.

So I know that the userChrome.css is in fact working, but the fonts for the folder panes are ignored.

Here's mine:

Code: Select all

/*
 * Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning
 */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

/* 
 * Make all the default font sizes 9 pt:
 */
* { 
    font-size: 12.5pt !important;
}
When I added the parts from above comment, the folder colors change to orange. But not the font size.

And given that I already set the whole UI to be bigger, there's already some evidence it's simply not working at all for the folders anymore.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Flycaster wrote:The last part of the profile name is: ......950.default
Thanks for the other stuff.

My profile in 68+ is called s2fut.default-release, which seems to be a new thing from 68 onwards. You'd have to ask one of the guys who knows T/Bird well if that means anything by you having a different suffix on yours.
markus__ wrote:Sorry for interluding/hijacking.

In my case I already have a `userChrome.css` and it works everywhere except the folder pane regarding the font size..
I'm watching a film atm, if morat hasn't solved this by the end, then I'll take a look at it for you.

Edit: Your code works on all UI, including the folder pane fonts, on my 68.2.2

/*
 */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

/*
 * Make all the default font sizes 9 pt:
 */
* {
}
Maybe you have an extension interfering?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

I'm off on a fishing trip and won't be back until next Monday, so I won't be able to respond to your helpful hints until my return.
morat

Post by morat »

You can show the profile folder like so...

Help > Troubleshooting Information > Application Basics > Open Folder

My profile is C:\ThunderbirdPortable\Data\profile using the Thunderbird Portable 68.2.2 release build.

@markus

The following tweaks work for me with the Default, Light and Dark themes.

/* Thunderbird userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

* { font-size: 18pt !important; }

/* Thunderbird userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol) {
  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  font-size: 18pt !important;
}
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

Try disabling all addons, then restart and test again.
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Try this. Delete everything in the userChrome.css file so it is completely blank. Disable all addons. Then paste this (and ONLY this) into the blank userChrome.css file, save the edits to the userChrome.css file and then close thunderbird and restart thunderbird.

#folderTree > treechildren {
font-size: 18px !important;
}

Make sure the chrome folder is named "chrome" and not "Chrome". Make sure the userChrome.css file is named as shown. It is case sensitive. The css above is also case sensitive. Paste it. Don't retype it.

If above doesn't work try setting file attributes of userChrome.css to none. Then try setting it to read-only. You have to restart thunderbird after any changes you make to see if they work. Changes only become active AFTER a restart.
markus__

Post by markus__ »

::-moz-tree-cell-text
This did the trick!

Without this, only "spacing" around the labels is increased but not the font itself. But with this, it worked:

}
Btw, the link doesn't work for me, page doesn't load.

I also saw no difference using `-moz-appearance` or not.

Anyway, many many thanks!
techn0mad

Post by techn0mad »

On MacOS Mojave and Thunderbird 68.3.1 the following userChrome.css worked nicely:

/*
 */

}

/*
 * Make all the default font sizes eg:14 px:
 */

* { font-size: 16px !important; }