MozillaZine

Why does it keep asking for a new pasword

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Mac73

Post Posted November 28th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Why does Thunderbird keep asking to enter a new password for my gmail account when I can log into my gmail from a browser on the same computer? So when I try to get my mail from gmail with Thunderbird, this pop up window keeps coming down asking to enter a new password. I have tried that and nothing works there either. This just happened in the last day and now has completely shut me down from using Thunderbird. So annoying!!!!

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 29th, 2019, 5:22 am

Before you can effectively change an account's password through Thunderbird you must change it via the website of the account. Then go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete the old password in Thunderbird. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.

WaltS48

Post Posted November 29th, 2019, 7:05 am

Mac73 wrote:Why does Thunderbird keep asking to enter a new password for my gmail account when I can log into my gmail from a browser on the same computer? So when I try to get my mail from gmail with Thunderbird, this pop up window keeps coming down asking to enter a new password. I have tried that and nothing works there either. This just happened in the last day and now has completely shut me down from using Thunderbird. So annoying!!!!

What version of Thunderbird?

There was a change at Google that caused a problem with Google mail in Thunderbird.

Fixed in versions 60.9.1 and 68.2.1.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Return to Thunderbird Support