MozillaZine

Error mailing to contact list: "not of the form user@host"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Swarup
 
Posts: 92
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Post Posted December 1st, 2019, 6:52 pm

I have been using contact lists in TB for a long time with success. But today I have created another contact list, and when I try to send a mail to it, I get the following error message:

"Email address <Email address> is not a valid email address because it is not of the form user@host. You must correct it before sending the email."

Why is TB confusing this to be an email address rather than a contact list? Contact lists do not have "@" in them. The rest of my contact lists work fine. So why am I getting the above error with this one?

makaiguy

User avatar
 
Posts: 16813
Joined: November 18th, 2002, 6:44 pm
Location: Somewhere in SE USA

Post Posted December 1st, 2019, 7:20 pm

There have been reports that spaces in list names cause problems.

For more info see this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3031453&hilit=list
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 73.0 (64bit), TB 68.4.2 (32-bit) ║ Android 8.0/7.1.1: FF Mobile 68.5.0, No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Swarup
 
Posts: 92
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Post Posted December 1st, 2019, 7:34 pm

I already tried removing the spaces from the name.

Originally it was called "List 1". I tried switching it to "List-1", but it didn't make any difference.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 122513
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted December 2nd, 2019, 5:30 am

Special characters (non-alphanumeric) may also be problematic. Just as a test, change that name to remove the dash. If it then works it will confirm that the special character is the problem.

Swarup
 
Posts: 92
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Post Posted December 2nd, 2019, 7:12 am

I removed the dash but it didn't make any difference.

The way I had created this list was: I have a Google Groups with 285 members in it, and I suspected that some members of the group had mistakenly set posts from the google groups to go into their spam folder. So I exported all the email addresses from the google groups into a csv file, then created a TB address book from the csv, and finally created a contact list and dragged all the 285 addresses in bulk into the contact list. When I then tried emailing to this contact list, I got the above mentioned error. After trying to adjust the contact list name in all sorts of ways without getting success, I thought perhaps there is some email address among the 285 which TB doesn't like, or somehow one may have gotten entered wrongly in the bulk drag and drop. So I created another contact list and copied and pasted each of the 285 email addresses one by one into the contact list. And then it worked perfectly. By this it is proven that the problem was in the drag-drop process or in the creation of the address book from the csv. When I looked through the email addresses in the contact list thus created everything looked fine. But there was surely some problem there somewhere. Going forward hope not to have to add each email address one by one in the future though. I will be needing to do the same process with other google groups I have.

Return to Thunderbird Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests