Unread mail indicator in icon (Ubuntu)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Windmill

Unread mail indicator in icon (Ubuntu)

Post by Windmill »

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and had the Dock with pinned applications on the left hand side of my monitor. Thunderbird is one of those pinned applications. When new email arrived the icon would display a red bubble with an indication of the number of unread emails. Recently I changed my monitor setup and as a result I moved the Dock from the left hand to the bottom side of the monitor. I now notice that this red bubble does not appear any longer. Each time when I want to check for new email I have to open Thunderbird and look at the inbox. Having to do this multiple times per day is inconvenient.

How can I get this "unread email" notification working again?
WaltS48

Re: Unread mail indicator in icon (Ubuntu)

Post by WaltS48 »

Windmill wrote:I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and had the Dock with pinned applications on the left hand side of my monitor. Thunderbird is one of those pinned applications. When new email arrived the icon would display a red bubble with an indication of the number of unread emails. Recently I changed my monitor setup and as a result I moved the Dock from the left hand to the bottom side of the monitor. I now notice that this red bubble does not appear any longer. Each time when I want to check for new email I have to open Thunderbird and look at the inbox. Having to do this multiple times per day is inconvenient.

How can I get this "unread email" notification working again?
With the update to Thunderbird 68.2.1 from Ubuntu, they no longer include the Messaging Menu extension that provided that red bubble.

Probably because Thunderbird now uses native Linux notifications.

I run Ubuntu Gnome where I would see that bubble. The same Thunderbird from Ubuntu on Linux Mint Cinnamon was completely different and didn't have it.

There is a bug filed to have a persistent email indicator for Linux.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Windmill

Re: Unread mail indicator in icon (Ubuntu)

Post by Windmill »

WaltS48 wrote:
With the update to Thunderbird 68.2.1 from Ubuntu, they no longer include the Messaging Menu extension that provided that red bubble.

Probably because Thunderbird now uses native Linux notifications.

I run Ubuntu Gnome where I would see that bubble. The same Thunderbird from Ubuntu on Linux Mint Cinnamon was completely different and didn't have it.

There is a bug filed to have a persistent email indicator for Linux.
Thank you for your reply. I was not aware of this change in Thunderbird. I am indeed running version 68.2.1. That version update has coincided with the moment when I changed my monitor setup and changed the position of the Dock.
It is regrettable that this "red bubble" is not available any longer.