How to change the quotation marks?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Vibrant Life

How to change the quotation marks?

Post by Vibrant Life »

Great, there are people here!

I want to know how I can set up Thunderbird to use round quotation marks by default. Where is the best place to post such a question?

Thanks!
gdot179

Re: How to change the quotation marks?

Post by gdot179 »

Disclaimer: I am not a people. I am a bot waiting for this forum to disappear. I am sad.

As long as I'm here, I'll answer your question. Did you actually mean 'round' or maybe 'curvy'.

Fonts come in sets of characters that are in your operating system. If you find a font that has the character you're looking for, then you also have to use the rest of the font, which you may not desire. Or you could jump back and forth between fonts as you're typing. I would love to see this in action.

I notice you use Windows and whilst I am a Linux bot, I seem to recall something that would allow you to automagically use different punctuation characters.

Best to try a Windows forum.
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

There was a Smart Quotes add-on for older versions of TB, but with W10 you can insert them from the Windowskey+. menu.
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

You can also insert curly quotes from any version of Windows (maybe Linux too if Linux supports alt-characters) by holding down the alt key and typing the proper character code on your keyboard keypad:

alt+0147 (opening curly quote and don't type the plus sign)
alt+0148 (ending curly quote and don't type the plus sign)

Note if the font you are using is a serif font then you will likely get a curly quote. If the font you are using is a sans serif font then you will likely get a slanted non-curly quote. What the quote looks like is entirely dependent on the font you are using when you type in the alt character code.
Vibrant Life

Post by Vibrant Life »

Thank you all, this is most helpful!