All Emails disappeared after compacting

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
peters220

Re: All Emails disappeared after compacting

Post by peters220 »

Hello tanstaafl: I tried your last suggestion and Thunderbird only showed the Emails after the date that they disappeared. Anyone out there know how to recover the emails from the cache? Thanks JP
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If there is any mail there they would be a *.eml file or a mbox file (named after the folder, but with no file extension). You can use the ImportExportTools NG add-on to import them into a folder in "Local Folders". Normally most of the files in the cache are image files, certificates etc.
peters220

Post by peters220 »

Hello tanstaafl: I tried to install ImportExportTools NG but would not install because The operating system is not supported. The computer is one of my old ones that I use in the garage. Windows Vista. Thanks JP
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What version of Thunderbird are you running under Vista? I suspect you need to use the older version of the add-on - ImportExportTools (no NG as part of the name)

"as of Thunderbird 53, Thunderbird only supports Windows 7, 8, 10, and Windows Server 2008 R2."
peters220

Post by peters220 »

Hello tanstaafl: Running 53. I installed the add on and the first time I ran it it came up with a list of previous versions of my profile. I errored and chose one with the date after Thunderbird crash. There were 76mb in the old version. A small banner at the bottom left said importing for a few seconds. AS far as I can tell it did not import any emails. I ran it again and this time it did not come up with the old versions. How do I find the old versions again? Thanks JP