MozillaZine

553 5.7.1: Sender address rejected

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
michal.sochor

Post Posted January 20th, 2020, 1:10 am

Hello everybody,
after last week's update I cannot send e-mails from my second address. There's error 553 5.7.1 <xxx@gmail.com>: Sender address rejected: not owned by user xxx@volny.cz. SMTP for the gmail account is set correctly and paired with it, but TB still tries to access the volny.cz smtp. No changes in configuration seem to be accepted/noticed by the software. It's really annoying.
Thanks for any advice.
Michal.

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 20th, 2020, 2:57 am

Moved from Thunderbird bugs to Thunderbird support as you appear to be looking for help with a problem, not discussing workarounds for a known bug reported in Bugzilla. In the future if you want to discuss workarounds for a known bug please include a link to the bug report.

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 20th, 2020, 3:01 am

http://kb.mozillazine.org/5.7.1_Unable_to_relay

A 5.7.1 smtp error typically occurs when you try to use a smtp server to send a message to somebody in another domain, without providing your username/password so that the smtp server knows you are a legitimate user. I suggest you check what smtp server entry is specified in the accounts settings, and verify its using the right username.

michal.sochor

Post Posted January 21st, 2020, 5:25 am

SMTP servers are set correctly and properly linked to each of the accounts, but only SMTP of the default account is used when sending out an e-mail. This happens only when sending NEW e-mails, whereas replying works fine. In other words, the SMTP server seems to be chosen as soon as I open a window for writing an e-mail, and when I switch to another sender, this collides with the pre-selected SMTP, although each account has properly set SMTP... It must be some bug. This problem appeared after the last automatic update.

Return to Thunderbird Support