MozillaZine

can't install new Thunderbird email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
walkerpbus

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 2:04 pm

don't know how to install Changed version migration to new email address
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 4:38 pm

I don't understand that terminology. What is it, in some detail, that you are trying to accomplish?

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 4:51 pm

If you changed your email address its safest to create a new account in Thunderbird and afterwards move any mail you want to keep from the old account to the new account. Its possible to hack an existing account to use a different email address and/or mail server and clean up the side effects due to doing that, but if you have to ask how to do that its much quicker and safer to just move your old mail to a new account.

You could create a child folder with a unique name in the new account, drag and drop all of the folders from the old account underneath it, and later on figure out where you want to store that mail/what messages you want to merge in existing folders with the same name (such as the inbox).

If you are changing email providers (for example switching ISPs and using your new ISP as your email provider) I recommend you wait several days after you migrate before closing the account with your former email provider to give yourself time to discover if you overlooked anything.

walkerpbus

Post Posted February 7th, 2020, 1:26 pm

tanstaafl wrote:If you changed your email address its safest to create a new account in Thunderbird and afterwards move any mail you want to keep from the old account to the new account. Its possible to hack an existing account to use a different email address and/or mail server and clean up the side effects due to doing that, but if you have to ask how to do that its much quicker and safer to just move your old mail to a new account.

You could create a child folder with a unique name in the new account, drag and drop all of the folders from the old account underneath it, and later on figure out where you want to store that mail/what messages you want to merge in existing folders with the same name (such as the inbox).

If you are changing email providers (for example switching ISPs and using your new ISP as your email provider) I recommend you wait several days after you migrate before closing the account with your former email provider to give yourself time to discover if you overlooked anything.

Thanks for your advice: as far as I know, not switching providers: both are a *.gmail.com" & not changing ISP. I'm not sure I can find or copy the old email. Part of the damage was because of Google. Before I had 2 accounts: mine and my wife's. Also a redo was caused by hard disk went bad & vendor replaced new hard disk. Right now, spouse's email is there but not up to date: I don't know why, I think something is wrong with the settings for it & the new one (me) is not there at all. I'm open to any suggestions.
" just got a failure in the settings (my wife's account) I haven't tried my account"
Last edited by walkerpbus on February 7th, 2020, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 7th, 2020, 1:44 pm

If you used IMAP accounts the original messages are still in remote folders on the IMAP server, so it doesn't matter if the local copy (in offline folders) were lost when your hard disk crashed. I suggest you start by logging into webmail (browser) for both email addresses and see whats there. Whatever is there you can access via IMAP accounts, and its easy to move messages from one IMAP account to another.

Do you have any backups of the old disk? You can import mail using either the ImportExportTools or the ImportExportTools NG (if you use version 68.*) add-on. Search for a directory that has both a prefs.js and a abook.mab file. If you find one its a Thunderbird profile (you may have more than one). Mail will be in child directories in either the ImapMail or Mail child directory.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders

walkerpbus

Post Posted February 7th, 2020, 3:03 pm

tanstaafl wrote:If you used IMAP accounts the original messages are still in remote folders on the IMAP server, so it doesn't matter if the local copy (in offline folders) were lost when your hard disk crashed. I suggest you start by logging into webmail (browser) for both email addresses and see whats there. Whatever is there you can access via IMAP accounts, and its easy to move messages from one IMAP account to another.

Do you have any backups of the old disk? You can import mail using either the ImportExportTools or the ImportExportTools NG (if you use version 68.*) add-on. Search for a directory that has both a prefs.js and a abook.mab file. If you find one its a Thunderbird profile (you may have more than one). Mail will be in child directories in either the ImapMail or Mail child directory.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders

Setup: both attempts (mine & my wife) to setup:"Unable to login at server. Probably a wrong username, configuration or password. Google was the controller." Difference was username of mined was changed & not in consideration.

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 7th, 2020, 5:16 pm

See if http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail helps. Its usually safest to use OAuth2 for authentication. That requires cookies for google.com to be enabled. Cookies are normally enabled by default (Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Accept cookies from web site is checked, and "Keep until" is set to "until they expire").

I assume you are not using two step authentication so you don't need an app password. Check that you can login to gmail webmail using a browser. If Google set a captcha that will clear it. Thunderbird has no idea what a captcha is.

If you changed your email address it should ignore your old saved password/token but it wouldn't hurt to delete it in tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords and restart Thunderbird (since the deleted passwords are still in memory) before trying again.

walkerpbus

Post Posted February 8th, 2020, 12:45 pm

1. I need to successfully add in my spouse's email using the same Google parameters.
2. Changing a basic email address requires a change in the USER CONTROL PANEL. 1 problem with that requires a change in that requires also the current password which I don't know at all, just the password for the change

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 8th, 2020, 1:00 pm

I thought you were trying to merge two gmail accounts, using one email address for both of you. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Please be very specific (without specifying any email addresses/passwords). Your first post was confusing, and I had to guess what you were talking about.

What user control panel are you talking about? Gmail webmail settings? Google.com settings? Accounts applet in windows 10 settings app? Please provide some context.

walkerpbus

Post Posted February 8th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Sorry I confused you sir. My goal in Tbird is to change my basic Gmail because some Google things messed up the basic thing plus continue unharmed my basic spouses email. Sine I changed my my email I need to make some changes in the control panel for notification. Please reread the 1:45 post. Gotta go: will be in church Sunday: Now it's Monday; where are you?

Return to Thunderbird Support