MozillaZine

Linux Thunderbird can't connect to Windows T'bird profile

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
luckycrazyhorse

Post Posted February 9th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Laptop Computer, Latest Windows 10 64 bit with Thunderbird 68.4.2 64 bit, alongside Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 64 bit with Thunderbird 68.4.1 64 bit

I'm having an issue convincing Thunderbird in LM to share my profile that lives in a Profiles folder on the Windows D: partition that's NTFS. I have no problem reading and writing to that partition from LM but for some reason the Linux T-bird simply can't connect to my profile no matter what I write in my LM profiles.ini file. I have deleted the parent lock files and there are no extensions/add-ons. It's failing with this:

"You have launched an older version of Thunderbird. A newer version of Thunderbird may have made changes to your profile which are no longer compatible with this older version. Use this profile only with that newer version, or create a new profile for this installation of Thunderbird Creating a new profile requires... and yadda yadda. Choices are Quit or Create New Profile."

Does the newest Thunderbird consider 68.4.1 unfit to share a profile made and used in 68.4.2? Am I beating my head against the wall until there's a 68.4.2 package released for LM?

I'm having the same problem with my main computer with Win 7 but otherwise identical Thunderbird versions, profiles and profile locations.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I did read something a few days ago about Thunderbird 68 being extremely cranky about sharing a profile. Wish I could find that page again but it really didn't have much info in it.

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 9th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Version 68.4.1 should have no problem with a profile created using 68.4.2. However, try using a --allow-downgrade command line argument when you launch Thunderbird. That should let it use a profile created before version 68. That is what your error message implies you are using.

The other possibility is that you've run into some weird bug due to using a file share that gets incorrectly mapped to another error message. I assume that the file share is visible from your Linux file explorer. If its using some protocol that hides the redirection from your file explorer, Thunderbird won't be aware the file share exists.

I suggest you (just for troubleshooting purposes) copy the profile to a flash drive on the computer you're using and use -profile "full_path_to_profile" command line arguments to tell Thunderbird to use that profile. That ignores whats in profiles.ini. If that works okay the we're talking about some sort of file sharing related problem. Those command line arguments don't require you to use a flash drive (though that is when they are most commonly used), you could copy it to your computers hard disk instead.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/un ... on-profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Running_from_ ... hunderbird

WaltS48

Post Posted February 10th, 2020, 7:04 am

I believe 68.4.1 is a different and older installation than 68.4.2. With "dedicated profiles per installation" a newer profile created with 68.4.2 is a different installation than 68.4.1.

No problem updating from an older version to a newer version using the older versions profile.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

luckycrazyhorse

Post Posted February 10th, 2020, 8:10 am

I don't have any idea which version of Thunderbird originally created this profile but I think the same one has been in effect for at least 10 years.

I did as you suggest with the --allow-downgrade command and it worked. Even better, it repeated when when I started Thunderbird using the GUI. I saved a draft and went back to Windows and everything was fine. I could see the draft. I saved another draft in Windows and went back to the linux T'bird. Party over. This time error was "Your Thunderbird profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible." So far I've been unable to resolve it. Now I'm thinking the LM T'bird may not like something in the profile when going back for another try.

Thanks for the links. That first one is the page I was referring to above. I remember now, I got to it one time using the "More information" link in that error screen. Funny thing about that link is it would goof up my firefox and try to start a new window which led to another type of failure. I was unable to find the right combination after that first time and never made it work again.

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 10th, 2020, 8:46 am

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_cannot_be_loaded

One possibility is that another copy of Thunderbird is already running. Try again after rebooting your Linux system.

You could try adding -profile "complete_path_to_profile" command line arguments to bypass the use of profiles.ini to find your profile. If that works then I'd assume something is wrong with your profiles.ini file.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Running_from_ ... hunderbird has more information about those command line arguments. Don't be mislead by the name of the KB article, you don't need to use a usb drive to use those command line arguments.

luckycrazyhorse

Post Posted February 11th, 2020, 7:50 am

I never could get Thunderbird to use the profile from the command line but I have learned some things. I put a copy of the profile on my linux drive and got it to work but it's difficult to make it use the profile that lives on the shared D: NTFS data drive.

This is the profiles.ini file I have now.

[Profile1]
Name=datadrive
IsRelative=0
Path=/media/d/Data/Profiles/uvzd8urf.default

[Profile0]
Name=linux drive
IsRelative=1
Path=uvzd8urf.default
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0
Version=2

[InstallFDC34C9F024745EB]
Default=/media/d/Data/Profiles/uvzd8urf.default
Locked=1

What I have to do to make Thunderbird to use the "datadrive" profile after returning from Windows is go manually delete the parent.lock file and run the --allow-downgrade command in a terminal. From there, the profile manager starts, I choose the datadrive profile and it loads just fine.

I'm not sure if anything can be done with the profile.ini file to help this situation but I'm not seeing it. I did just notice "Locked=1" Maybe it would help if I changed that to "Locked=0".

Maybe the best successful alternative could be writing some sort of batch file (or whatever they're called in linux) to go delete the parent.lock file, run the --allow-downgrade command and finally, start Thunderbird? This is scary because I haven't needed to write any batch files for probably 15 years.

It could be some of the issue would go away if there was a proper 68.4.2 update package for Linux Mint. I did find one compressed file from Mozilla but it wasn't compatible with the package manager and I read something about not using such files because it could trash my installation. I think it was a tarball but I deleted it.

kerft

Post Posted February 11th, 2020, 9:47 am

It might help to downgrade the windows version to whatever is the current on mint, and each time there is a new version, not upgrade thunderbird windows until mint gets its upgrade.

luckycrazyhorse

Post Posted February 12th, 2020, 5:46 am

Thanks but I'm a little hesitant to fix something that isn't broke to work on something that may not be repairable. Also, it seems to very difficult to find downgrade installations for Mozilla stuff from Mozilla itself these last few years. I don't particularly like getting files from unofficial download sites.

LIMPET235

Post Posted February 12th, 2020, 5:57 am

Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

luckycrazyhorse

Post Posted February 12th, 2020, 6:46 am

Thanks. I've always known about that ftp site but never knew what to do with it. It just looks like an archive of directories. I never opened one of those directories to look at files but just did and see every directory contains nothing but exe and msi install files. Duh!

WaltS48

Post Posted February 12th, 2020, 6:53 am

luckycrazyhorse wrote:Thanks. I've always known about that ftp site but never knew what to do with it. It just looks like an archive of directories. I never opened one of those directories to look at files but just did and see every directory contains nothing but exe and msi install files. Duh!

What are you looking for? Those are the Windows installation files.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

LIMPET235

Post Posted February 12th, 2020, 7:12 am

Try this one.
It's for 68.4.1 x64 for Linux.
> https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird ... ux-x86_64/
Select your required language.
Scroll down the posted ftp list for all the optional versions & OS's.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

kerft

Post Posted February 12th, 2020, 8:55 am

If you could access your email by imap instead of pop, imap can function with multiple computers or devices. You could set up new profiles (for both windows and linux) and use them as if they had no connection to each other and were running on separate computers. This would use more internet data, but for most users this would not matter.

With imap, generally all messages that are wanted are kept on the server, it is similar to webmail. pop is more like postal mail, once you get mail, the post office doesn't have it anymore.
Despite what you might think, it is possible to make local copies or folders of emails with imap, and there are ways to make local backups of the emails. http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP_backup

luckycrazyhorse

Post Posted February 13th, 2020, 8:48 am

Thanks for all the replies and info.

Here's where I am now. I have the exact same Thunderbird version number of 68.4.1 installed in Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. Everything is 64 bit. All this is repeatable and seems to be required with every restart of each OS

When starting Thunderbird in linux, I have to delete the zero byte parent.lock file placed by Windows. I run this command in a terminal, "rm /media/d/Data/Profiles/uvzd8urf.default/parent.lock". Then I'm allowed to use the profile.

When starting Thunderbird in Windows, I always get the error box that tells me I launched an older version of Thunderbird even though the version numbers are the same. Then I start Thunderbird with this command. "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe --allow-downgrade". Everything works well until the next time I use the profile in linux.

It appears as though allowing the updates or changes to the Windows Thunderbird version doesn't make a bit of difference and it appears as though the linux Thunderbird will never have matching version numbers. I did allow an update to the newest 68.5.0 on the Windows this morning and nothing changed. I reverted it back to 68.4.1 and nothing changed. No matter what the Windows version number, running --allow-downgrade appears to be a requirement after using the shared profile in linux.

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 15th, 2020, 7:33 pm

"When starting Thunderbird in linux, I have to delete the zero byte parent.lock file placed by Windows."

Sounds like the Thunderbird process in Windows was not cleanly shutting down for some reason. See if it happens if you launch Thunderbird in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled). If not, then its probably a side effect of an add-on that doesn't play nicely any more.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use

I suggest you modify both the Windows and the Linux shortcuts to add a --allow-downgrade command line argument. You shouldn't have to, but the project did a lousy job of dealing with the changes in profile management in version 68 and there appear to be a good number of configuration specific bugs (like yours). So far I'm now aware of any bad side effects in using those command line arguments with 68.*.

Return to Thunderbird Support