Font size . . .

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bruce L.

Font size . . .

Post by Bruce L. »

I know this has been a confusing issue with any email program like forever.

At any rate, a friend sent me an email a month or so ago with a very tiny font. She did not do this intentionally, and I'm not sure what program she used. Emails from her since are sometimes showing a normal-sized font and sometimes it's tiny again.

Now I get email from other people and SOMETIMES it has the tiny font. Not always. My default is set to Times New Roman 16 but I know that may or may not have anything to do with incoming. When composing it seems to be okay.

I've been using TB for years and have never had this problem.

I'm running W10 and auto TB updates.
morat

Re: Font size

Post by morat »

Did you set the minimum font size?

i.e. Tools > Options > Display > Formatting > Advanced > Minimum font size

Try to uncheck the "Allow messages to use other fonts" option.

More info: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2087567 (read replies by DanRaisch and rsx11m)

Font settings
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Font_settings_in_Thunderbird

Bad Eyesight
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bad_Eyesight_-_Thunderbird

View cached page if kb.mozillazine.org is down
http://cachedview.com/

If nothing else works...

The following tweak changes the font size on pages using the IMAP, MAILBOX and NEWS protocols, but not on pages using the CHROME, HTTP and HTTPS protocols.

Code: Select all

/* Thunderbird userContent.css */

@-moz-document url-prefix("imap:"), url-prefix("mailbox:"), url-prefix("news:") {
  * { font-size: 24px !important; }
}
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserContent.css
Last edited by morat on February 20th, 2020, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Font size . . .

Post by tanstaafl »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3057189

"Your problem might be that "allow messages to use other fonts" in tools -> options -> display -> formatting -> advanced is checked. Uncheck it, so that only your font settings are used. Setting "fonts for" to "other writing systems" also works around the problem of the font settings in tools -> options -> display -> formatting only effecting HTML messages due to their using CSS.

"I modified font.size.variable.x-unicode from 17 to 24 and ordinary plain text messages now look great. I modified font.minimum-size.x-unicode from 0 to 24". I tried but decided against using the CSS code Frank suggested for userContent.css"

Some other folks prefer modifying layout.css.devPixelsPerPx from -1.0 to 1.50. That's essentially changing the DPI (dots per inch) setting. Personally, I find that too coarse a solution.

In both cases you use the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general to modify those settings. I suggest you backup the prefs.js file in your profile and then experiment with various solutions.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

I tried changing the settings you guys suggested, didn't help. I'm emailing myself from a Yahoo webmail account to test.

That other stuff is way over my head (or interest).

What I do know: I did not change any settings on TB previous to this problem. Whatever has happened, it happened by itself or through an update.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What version does help -> troubleshooting information say you are using? For example, 68.5.0 or 60.9.1.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

tanstaafl wrote:What version does help -> troubleshooting information say you are using? For example, 68.5.0 or 60.9.1.
I'm on auto update, so it shows 68.5.0.

Now it just did a stupid thing this morning. An email came in with too small text. I hit reply, and the quoted text (plus my added text) is way too big.

I just want it to go back to how it used to be -- where none of this was an issue.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

So here we go again:

I just composed an email, and the text was actually bigger than I like and bigger than it always used to be.

So I sent the email (to a friend) and checked my "Sent" folder. There it was, in the tiny little text that is way too small.

I've been using TB for close to ten years, and this was never a problem. Why is it now? Is this an unsolvable dilemma?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its probably occurring due to a different version of Gecko being used by Thunderbird. I suspect you made an error when you tried to follow our suggestions. Or you also changed the DPI.

Does the problem only occur with plain text, HTML or both types of messages?
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Make these font size settings for BOTH "Other Writing Systems" and "Latin":

Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

I will check the last two posts over the weekend. Now I have a different TB problem (different PC) I will post as "Can receive but not send."
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

JYLD wrote:Make these font size settings for BOTH "Other Writing Systems" and "Latin":

I have whatever the latest version is for W10, and my window looks a bit different than yours, and did not include "Futura LT" or "IBM Plex Mono" in those dropdowns.

But I did change what I could and it does seem to be better -- but not where it was before it decided to change itself. I haven't run across any really tiny text anywhere (so far).

So the question remains: I did not change anything within TB, whatever happened did so by itself. Why and how?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Bruce L. wrote:
JYLD wrote:Make these font size settings for BOTH "Other Writing Systems" and "Latin":

I have whatever the latest version is for W10, and my window looks a bit different than yours, and did not include "Futura LT" or "IBM Plex Mono" in those dropdowns.

But I did change what I could and it does seem to be better -- but not where it was before it decided to change itself. I haven't run across any really tiny text anywhere (so far).

So the question remains: I did not change anything within TB, whatever happened did so by itself. Why and how?
It is the same change for all users and not a bug so it is a mystery.

I would suggest also setting "Minimum font size:" to whatever you used for the Monospace font for both Latin and Other Writing Systems.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

I respectfully disagree on setting a minimum font size. Setting a minimum font size will change the senders intended look for received emails in weird ways. It will also change the intended look of one's own stationery email signature.