MozillaZine

Start Page Doesn't Work - Help!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
zlaer

Post Posted March 12th, 2020, 12:52 pm

JYLD wrote:
zlaer wrote:
JYLD wrote:CustomCSSforTB is excellent stuff and highly recommended. It just doesn't do much customizations for fonts and font sizes.

So I assume this addon will help darken all elements in TB to look like TT Deep Dark, including font colors?

No I don't think CustomCSSforTB will do what you want. If you understand CSS you could use all or parts of the CSS at the github link I gave as a starting point and then modify it to get the look you desire.

I know CSS. Been doing CSS for 5 years now and use it to style TB and FF. So it'll be no problems for me.

zlaer

Post Posted March 12th, 2020, 2:15 pm

tanstaafl wrote:Is this supposed to darken all of TB like TT Deep Dark?

No. Monterail Full Dark 2 for TB>68 would be a closer match. It also darkens the folder listing, the top of the compose message window etc.

Hi tanstaafl. Got 2 questions:

1) As you know I currently have version 60.9.1. Do you think I should update to the current version or keep my current the version? Is it worth it?

2) I want to install the newest version but still keep the older version. How can I switch between the new and old versions?

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 12th, 2020, 4:39 pm

1. I have both installed for testing purposes. I recommend you stick with 60.9.1 for now. Its a pain dealing with the add-on support in 68 and it wanting to have its own profile. Offhand the most significant new features seems to be support for OAuth2 for POP accounts and filelink support for Dropbox and Box.com add-ons. Yawn. Wait until the add-on situation improves.

2. You can use custom setup to install a second version in a different directory. Add --allow-downgrade to the command line arguments in the second shortcut to hopefully let you use the old profile with version 68. However, many of the add-ons for version 68 don't support version 60.9.1. so you may find you need to have a separate profile for each version. It depends upon what add-ons you use.

zlaer

Post Posted March 13th, 2020, 11:27 am

tanstaafl wrote:1. I have both installed for testing purposes. I recommend you stick with 60.9.1 for now. Its a pain dealing with the add-on support in 68 and it wanting to have its own profile. Offhand the most significant new features seems to be support for OAuth2 for POP accounts and filelink support for Dropbox and Box.com add-ons. Yawn. Wait until the add-on situation improves.

2. You can use custom setup to install a second version in a different directory. Add --allow-downgrade to the command line arguments in the second shortcut to hopefully let you use the old profile with version 68. However, many of the add-ons for version 68 don't support version 60.9.1. so you may find you need to have a separate profile for each version. It depends upon what add-ons you use.

Do you think the addon situation will improve in future updates? Is TB working on getting addons supported especially legacies?

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 13th, 2020, 5:48 pm

There are some programming tricks a add-on author can do to make a legacy add-on work with version 68. However, add-on authors that don't want to completely rewrite their add-on for version 78 have little motivation to do that. Supposedly there will be no way to support a legacy add-on in version 78 (this summer).

The main benefit of future versions is they will flesh out the WebExtensions API with more mail-centric features. There are still many issues regarding how to implement certain features that were available in legacy add-ons in a MailExtension add-on. You'll also gradually see more add-ons rewritten. So I think things might be slightly worse in version 78 and then gradually get better. However "better" doesn't mean its just a matter of time before you can use most of your favorite add-ons (or an equivalent). Just that more of the most popular ones are likely to have an equivalent or be rewritten.

The situation is terrible compared to what we're used to. But its still way better than any other email client I'm aware of.

zlaer

Post Posted March 14th, 2020, 11:53 am

tanstaafl wrote:There are some programming tricks a add-on author can do to make a legacy add-on work with version 68. However, add-on authors that don't want to completely rewrite their add-on for version 78 have little motivation to do that. Supposedly there will be no way to support a legacy add-on in version 78 (this summer).

The main benefit of future versions is they will flesh out the WebExtensions API with more mail-centric features. There are still many issues regarding how to implement certain features that were available in legacy add-ons in a MailExtension add-on. You'll also gradually see more add-ons rewritten. So I think things might be slightly worse in version 78 and then gradually get better. However "better" doesn't mean its just a matter of time before you can use most of your favorite add-ons (or an equivalent). Just that more of the most popular ones are likely to have an equivalent or be rewritten.

The situation is terrible compared to what we're used to. But its still way better than any other email client I'm aware of.

Are you saying that 78 will be more secure and even though the outlook looks bad for addons, this is still the best way for TB to go for a more secure mailing client?

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 14th, 2020, 4:51 pm

No. I suggest you stick with 60.9.1 until this fall, and then see what the situation is like. You could do a custom setup to install the newer software in a different directory, create a profile with just one account, and see if you prefer it. If you do then update 60.9.1. Otherwise uninstall the newer version and try again later on.

They will add the latest security fixes in version 78. However, you don't really gain anything from that as they are fixes for stuff that has little impact on Thunderbird. They're really browser-specific fixes. Even the official security advisories state "In general, these flaws cannot be exploited through email in the Thunderbird product because scripting is disabled when reading mail, but are potentially risks in browser or browser-like contexts." Your main risks are opening the wrong attachment, clicking on a phishing link, or enabling view -> display attachments inline (more convenient, but risky).

The official line from the Thunderbird project is that you should always use the latest version available to get the latest security fixes. I think that is because Mozilla (which is very browser-centric) has too much influence on a "community lead project". Its good idea to keep up-to-date in general but I haven't seen any indication in the forums that being behind one or two major versions causes security problems.

I'm assuming you are not using the Enigmail add-on, whose latest version is usually tied to a specific version of Thunderbird, just like Lightning is.

Return to Thunderbird Support