MozillaZine

Failing When Moving Tbird Profiles to New PC

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thechamlin

Post Posted March 14th, 2020, 10:30 pm

Win 10 Pro. New installation of TB on new system. I copied the existing two profiles on my retiring PC which were in a customized location on my data drive (E:).

I installed TB, canceled out of the new account setup. I've tried placing the profiles in their "usual" E: location, but that didn't work. Then I tried dropping them into the traditional roaming location on the C: drive, but that didn't work either.

Followed the instructions on the support.mozilla.org page but apparently I'm not getting this right. Help? Thanks!

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 15th, 2020, 4:17 am

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
For a concise, less detailed version of the process, see this thread --
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1421375&p=7251375#p7251375

For an alternative approach, see tanstaafl's posts in this thread -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2942915&p=14209121#p14209121

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 15th, 2020, 6:22 am

What version of Thunderbird are you using (according to help -> troubleshooting information)?

See if the about:profiles link in help -> troubleshooting information lets you see (and hopefully use) the two profiles. If it doesn't list them then the profiles.ini file probbaly hasn't been updated to list their locations. Thunderbird uses that file to find profiles, it doesn't discover them by looking in the default location etc. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird describes how to move a profile (in a way that Thunderbird knows where it is) . Unfortunately version 68.* makes life difficult as it won't always recognize profiles created by earlier versions. Adding --allow-downgrade to the command line arguments for the Thunderbird shortcut might help if you are trying to use a profile created before version 68 was released.

As an experiment you could also try launching Thunderbird from the command line in a console window, specifying the full path to the profile using a -profile command line argument. That bypasses the profiles.ini file. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Running_from_ ... hunderbird for more details. Ignore the references to a usb drive, you don't need one to use what its describing. You can use cmd (its listed as a command prompt app) from the windows start field to create a console window.

thechamlin

Post Posted March 15th, 2020, 8:38 pm

DanRaisch and tanstaafl, thank you both very much. Took me a while but I got it done with your help. What was screwing me up was in the regular instructions when I was choosing where I wanted my profile folder to be, I was choosing (as an example):
E:/My Documents/Profiles
instead of the actual profile folder:
E:/My Documents/Profiles/fowidnfk.default

Once I figured that out it all went smoothly, thanks!

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 16th, 2020, 4:30 am

You're welcome.

Return to Thunderbird Support