Email inserted image is upside down before sent.[Solved.]

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FFman

Email inserted image is upside down before sent.[Solved.]

Post by FFman »

When I use Insert > Image (jpg) in the body of the message it sometimes shows as upside down.
But the receiver of the message sees it as the correct way up.

May be a coincidence but I've just moved to Windows 10 and I never saw it happen on Windows 7.
The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time and I can't see any pattern in the properties of the image.

I just wondered if anyone has seen this and has any cure for it.
Thanks.

Thunderbird 68.6.0 (32-bit)
Last edited by LIMPET235 on April 14th, 2020, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved.] to the title.
tanstaafl

Re: Email inserted image is upside down before I send it

Post by tanstaafl »

I've never seen it and don't remember reading about somebody else having it.

Is this random, or is this a repeatable problem for certain images? If the latter see if you have the same problem pasting the same image into something else such as Microsoft Paint. There might be a problem with the EXIF data which for some unknown reason doesn't effect the recipients email client.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1194101 has some related background information.
FFman

Post by FFman »

Thanks tanstaafl.
I haven't been able so far to see any pattern or reason for this but I'll continue digging.
I'll report back if I come up with anything.
I'll have a look at that link.
FFman

Post by FFman »

FWIW:
I've discovered what the problem is.
I always hold my iPad with the Home button on the left.
When I take a photo and send it to a Windows 10 PC it is shown the right way up in Windows.
However, if I Insert the photo into a TB email it shows upside down and the email receiver sees it upside down.

If I take a photo and have the Home button on the right then everything shows the right way up.

I've compared the wrong way up one with the right way up one and all their properties are the same so I've no idea why (how!) Windows shows the wrong way up one correctly.

Another curious thing is that the upside down one shows the right way up in the Sent folder!!

EDIT:
If I open the file with FastStone Image Viewer, or MS Photos or Paint or Paint.net or Paint3D it shows correctly.
If I open it with Snip & Sketch or LibreOffice Draw is shows upside down.

If I open it with GIMP then GIMP detects it contains Exif orientation metadata and gives the option to rotate the image.
makaiguy

Re: Email inserted image is upside down before sent.[Solved.

Post by makaiguy »

Digital cameras of recent vintage record information about the image into the image file with what is called EXIF (EXchangeable Image File) data. One of the pieces of information that can be stored is the camera orientation when the picture is taken. Applications can use this information when displaying the image to know "which way is up". Not all cameras record this information and not all applications read and use it even if it's there.

I show photos on my big screen tv using Roku's multimedia app, and it doesn't adjust for EXIF orientation. I have to have the files themselves altered such that the array of pixels is correct for the desired picture orientation. There are a number of utilities that can do this -- I typically use Irfanview.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
FFman

Post by FFman »

Thanks for that makaiguy.
When I compared the two image files I expected to see a difference in the images’ property details but I couldn’t see any.
I’ll have another look to make sure!
FFman

Post by FFman »

I used GIMP to display the following Metadata (which I couldn't see in the Property Details).

iPad Home LEFT image showed "Exif.Image.Orientation = bottom, right"
iPad Home RIGHT image showed "Exif.Image.Orientation = top, left"

It's curious why the image shows upside down in the body of the email when creating but the right way up in the Sent folder.
Presumably extra code in the latter to show it correctly.

Anyway, all's well now.