MozillaZine

My TBird account folders have gone missing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
fdm2000

Post Posted March 20th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Over the years I have created numerous folders in my TBird account that would appear in a column while reading mail in my Inbox. It would allow me to move messages from the Inbox to these folders like eBay, Amazon, etc. and other online retailers for storage and future reference. Has a TBird update some how removed them or am I not accessing them properly?

TIA,

Frank

sfhowes

Post Posted March 20th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Is the Folder Pane, under View/Layout, hidden, or is the pane visible but empty? In Help/Troubleshooting, about:profiles, is the current profile ....default or ....default-release?

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 20th, 2020, 5:01 pm

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
In SeaMonkey, the path is Edit->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type".

makaiguy

Post Posted March 20th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Sounds as if you've dragged the divider over to the left so far that the left pane disappears.

If you position the cursor on the left edge (cursor changes to <--> in Windows, not sure aboutbother o.s.) sometimes it will just drag the edge of the entire window. But keep trying and eventually it should "grab" the divider and let you reposition it to restore the missing pane.
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 78.0.1 (64bit), TB 68.10.0 (32-bit) ║ Android 10/7.1.1: FF Mobile 68.9.0, No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

fdm2000

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 10:53 am

Thanks to all responders for their input: I can see all of the 3 family account folders in the far left column and but not the once created folders for various companies and online retailers, etc. - using the < > to move the folders column does not show the folders column that has gone missing. All three accounts are set up as POP and have been for years. In View> Toolbars>Folder Pane Toolbar is checked. In View>Layout Folder Pane and Folder Pane Columns are checked and All Folders is checked in View>Folders.

In Help>Troubleshooting>about profiles> under Profile:Default Release >the Default Profile in use says Default Yes

Hope this helps in the diagnosis and fix. Some apps and programs have been updated including Windows 10, TBird and I run Malwarebytes, Norton Online Security Suite, Glary and CCleaner Utilities not sure if any of these would impact TBird?

Frank

makaiguy

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 11:32 am

CCleaner is a known problem utility around here that many times has been found to delete needed files from Mozilla programs. It wouldn't surprise me if Seamonkey is affected as well.

Do you have a recent backup from which can restore the missing files?
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 78.0.1 (64bit), TB 68.10.0 (32-bit) ║ Android 10/7.1.1: FF Mobile 68.9.0, No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 11:39 am

Goto tools -> account settings and select and accounts whose folders are missing. Look at the bottom of the accounts server settings pane. There should be a "local directory" setting. That specifies the directory used to store the files for the account. Its path typically includes the name of the mail server. If that directory changed (for some unknown reason but it happens) Thunderbird will look in the wrong place for your folders. If that happens it will automatically create a new version of the special folders such as the inbox, but it won't have your old mail, and you would be missing any folders you manually created. If the path ends with a -1 or -2 that frequently means it changed, unless you have 2 or more POP accounts with the mail server.

The workaround is to find the old directory and select it as the local directory. Repeat as needed for each account. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Empty_folders for more details.

mchd

Post Posted March 23rd, 2020, 8:06 am

So far I have tried the suggestions kindly made by responders and still no return of the missing folders now considering a different approach:
It dawned on me that when I recently I purchased my new Win 10 Dell desktop pc and installed the latest version of TBird - I then followed a guideline to transfer my contacts from my Win 7 pc to the new pc's TBird. I now cannot remember if my new new PC's TBird showed the created folders that are missing. It is possible that they were not copied/transferred and I failed to notice them missing. I still have the Win 7 pc with its version of TBird and it does contain the created folders missing on the new pc's TBird.
What would be the recommendation in this scenario. What would be the best way to get these folders from the old Win 7 TBird to the new Win10 TBird if it is even possible?

Had to register as a new user because the previous login insisted upon an answer to the captcha which refused to work with the correct number 6
Frank

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 23rd, 2020, 9:46 am

There are many ways to do that. I'll suggest two approaches.

Method A) Create a new child folder in "Local Folders" on your new PC and copy the mail folders from the old PC to that directory. It will discover them. Then you can move/merge the messages as desired. The mail is stored in "mbox files" - ASCII files named after the mail folder , with no file extension. For example your inbox folder would have a "inbox." mbox file (has the messages), a "inbox.msf" file (basically a cache of the folder listing - if you don't copy it Thunderbrid will create a new one) and probably a "inbox.sbd" (a renamed child directory used to organize the mbox files into a folder hierarchy.

Method B). Install the ImportExportTools NG add-on and use it to import the mbox files from your old PC/profile.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders was written for the prior version of that add-on (it was called ImportExportTools before it was completely rewritten and renamed for version 68) but it should still be useful.

For both methods:

You can use help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder to open windows explorer at the current profile. The "local directory" setting near the bottom of an accounts server settings specifies what directory that account uses to store its files. You can find the location of the files either way.

You could copy files onto a usb/flash drive to move them between PCs or use windows explorer to offer the old profile as a file share, and then redirect a drive to it on your new PC using file explorer (windows 10's version of windows explorer).

mchd

Post Posted March 23rd, 2020, 10:00 am

Thanks for again suggesting fixes. I will examine both methods discussed and see if I can make one of them work. Can I pester you if encounter questions or need assistance my learning curve is very steep at age 88.

Frank

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 23rd, 2020, 10:36 am

Sure.

mchd

Post Posted March 25th, 2020, 8:07 am

Thanks for your patience tanstaafl

Tried Method B
Downloaded the importexport tools app but its .xpi file would not open or install - a popup says this app could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt.

Will have to try Method A but need further assistance: You said "Create a new child folder in "Local Folders" on your new PC and copy the mail folders from the old PC to that directory. It will discover them. Then you can move/merge the messages as desired". The mail is stored in "mbox files" - ASCII files named after the mail folder , with no file extension."

I created the "Child" folder and named it Missing Folders under Local Folders on my new PC but do not see this child folder in Local Folders when I look at its settings - only see Junk Settings and Disk Space? However it does show a Local Directory for Local Folders. All this has me confused and need instruction on how to copy all or just those mail folders that are missing (if possible) from the old PC to the Local Folder directory ( assume this is a directory somewhere in the new PC?) - if so how do I find it? and then copy the desired mail folders from the old pc to that directory on the new PC.

Sorry that I lack the knowledge/skills to figure this out on my own but dealing with elderly cognition decline.

Frank

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm

A) How did you try to install the extension? It’s not an executable that can install itself. You need to download the XPI file to your local computer by right clicking on the link on the extension’s web page and select “Save file as”. Then, in Thunderbird, use menu path Tools->Addons->click on the “Gear” icon and select “Install extension from file”. That should add the functionality of the extension to Thunderbird’s Tools menu.

B) If you did it as intended, that “Missing Folders” should appear under the “Local Folders” parent, similar to the way that Inbox, Drafts, etc appear indented under the account name for the POP accounts. You don’t need to go into Settings for any reason in regard to that new sub-folder of Local Folders. Each Thunderbird folder (Inbox, Sent, Trash, Junk, and your new Missing Folders) exist on your hard drive as a singe file with the same name as the folder. So the messages in the Inbox folder are stored on the hard drive in a file named Inbox (with no file name extension). If you had a folder named “BookClub” on the old computer and copy the file named “Book Club” to the new machine, pasting it (with Thunderbird closed) into a sub-directory on the hard drive named “Missing Folders”, then launch Thunderbird, you would see a folder under Missing Folders named “BookClub”.

See this article for information on where to find the stored Thunderbird data on the hard drive -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

Return to Thunderbird Support