MozillaZine

changing IMAP to POP3

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
conrail

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 4:21 am

recently started receiving message saying that unable to connect to IMAP server I may have exceeded the maximum number, https://i.postimg.cc/d369f3GJ/Capture.jpg, following other posts here I have been looking for the change option, ; ie tools/account settings/server settings/advanced, which shows server settings as imap but then I can't find the change/edit option/, I have changed the number of server settings to cach from 5 to 3, 2, 1 then 4, I still have the same problem, can somebody advise me please, all help and advice appreciated

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 5:09 am

Sounds like you might be using a Courier IMAP server. They default to a limit of 4 connections / IP address. If you have multiple PCs behind the same router they all share the same IP address as far as the server is concerned. If your PC has more than four accounts with the same email provider even lowering the maximum number of connections per account that Thunderbird will use to 1 would exceed the limit.

You might want to think about switching to one or more Gmail IMAP accounts instead. You can use a browser to configure Gmail webmail to automatically fetch mail from several POP accounts and merge it into the webmail inbox (which the IMAP account will use) to make it easier to change addresses..

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Advanced_IMAP ... figuration for more information.

conrail

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 6:39 am

thank you, we have 3 email accounts plus a seperate gmail account not used with thunderbird, will try gmail
appreciate your help

conrail

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 11:22 am

have gone to tools/accounts/server settings/advanced and changed the 'maximum number of server' connections to cache between 1 to 4 but still getting the same problem, is there a way to change fro imap to pop3?

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 12:05 pm

There is no supported way to do that (because its too complex/error prone). You're better off adding the POP account.

conrail

Post Posted March 25th, 2020, 3:53 am

thank you, regarding adding pop3 acount will I have to delete an account the reinstall it as pop3? ie fredbloggs@email.com deleted and resetup using same name and setting it as pop3?

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 25th, 2020, 6:45 am

No, that's not necessary. Thunderbird can run both a POP and an IMAP account for the same email address at the same time. Add the POP account and then copy or move any messages you want to retain from the IMAP account to folders of the POP account.
Be aware that with a POP account, messages are stored on the local computer and only messages coming into the server inbox folder can be accessed by Thunderbird. That's the nature of the POP email protocol.

conrail

Post Posted March 25th, 2020, 7:26 am

thank you tanstaafl and DanRaisch, I appreciate all you help and advice

Return to Thunderbird Support