How to copy emails to other TB installation

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Pepestru

How to copy emails to other TB installation

Post by Pepestru »

I want to give all emails of an account to somebody else. (He will take over the job of secretary of the club). I can copy the files from my profile, but he will use another email address (both name and provider). Can somebody give a working suggestion? Thanks, Paul
DanRaisch

Re: How to copy emails to other TB installation

Post by DanRaisch »

If you simply give copies of message files to the new secretary it won't matter what email address that person is using.
How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Pepestru

Post by Pepestru »

Thanks. I am using IMAP. I will ask my friend how he is getting emails in his TB installation. Since he has made a new account I assume that it is easily modified to IMAP when needed.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Will you continue to use the same email account as you did in the past? That is, was that a personal account or one specifically for the club?
Pepestru

Post by Pepestru »

Sorry for not answering. I have been ill and in hospital for some time. Now almost recovered. I almost forgot this item. However the situation about the subject has not changed. Recently the secretary of the club addressed a few questions about communications in the past. I found the answer in the account(= email address) - specially made for club matters. (During the time I was in hospital my wife answered the questions as much as she could. She solved most of the problem by forwarding a lot of messages to the secretary).
I am still wondering how above situation could have been solved. Is it possible to copy the messages of only one account on a usb-stick and load that on another Thunderbird installation? Thanks,
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Glad to hear that you're recovering your health.
You can use this extension -- https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ttools-ng/
Install that into both Thunderbird installations. On the exporting system, select the folder that contains the messages to be copied and use menu path Tools->ImportExportTools NG->"Export all messages in the folder"->EML format->select a target for the exported files, possibly a USB/flash drive. On the importing system, connect the media with the exported files. In Thunderbird on that system, create a folder under Local Folders was a destination for the messages to be imported. Select that folder, then use menu path Tools->ImportExportTools NG-Import Messages and you should find the transferred messages in that target folder, They can then be stored there or copied (or moved) to the IMAP folder of the club account.