MozillaZine

can't send e-mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cpro

Post Posted April 4th, 2020, 8:29 am

Hi there;

I have a problem with thunderbird 68.6.0 it won't send e-mail I can get e-mail but when I try to send it tells me that the login to sever smtp.sasktel.net with the username failed. I checked the server settings and they are alright. I am on sasktel. Then I get the error Sending of the message failed. Failed due to unexpected error 80004005. No description is available. The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.sasktel.net for an unknown reason. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again. Can someone explain what to do to fix this. I can send and get e-mail from the web server but not when I use thunderbird.

DanRaisch

Post Posted April 4th, 2020, 3:12 pm

How long has thing been going on? From what that error message is indicating it could simply be an issue on the server side and the "fix" may just be patience.

BTW, being able to send via web mail doesn't necessarilyy tell us anything about issues when sending with Thunderbird as different servers are involved.

cpro

Post Posted April 5th, 2020, 6:52 am

Hi There;

this has been going on for a while. I use hotmail to send e-mail in thunderbird, I would like to use sasktel for sending e-mail. Also is there a way to post a screen shot of the problem?

DanRaisch

Post Posted April 5th, 2020, 2:49 pm

See this link for information on posting a screen shot -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

sfhowes

Post Posted April 5th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Sasktel suggests smtp.sasktel.net on port 587. In most cases, this would imply the connection security is STARTTLS, but there are a few providers, such as Charter, that require the security setting to be SSL/TLS. In the Outgoing Server (SMTP) settings, first select SSL/TLS security, then type 587 for the port, instead of 465 that is the usual port for SSL/TLS.

https://support.sasktel.com/app/answers ... a_id/15455

In the absence of clear instructions from Sasktel, that's worth trying.

Return to Thunderbird Support