MozillaZine

Re-arranging column order

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Gone Postal

Post Posted May 13th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Currently using v77.0b2 but have had this problem for some time. Whenever I load Thunderbird the column order has Junk Status and Attachments at the left of the view. I prefer these at the right hand end and drag them there. Then when I close and re-open Thunderbird they have returned to the left hand end of the view.

Is there any way to make my preferred column order stick?

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 13th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Right click on the folder name (Inbox?) and select "Properties" from the context folder, then click on the "Repair folder" button. That will cause Thunderbird to rebuild the .msf file associated with that folder.

Gone Postal

Post Posted May 13th, 2020, 4:59 pm

DanRaisch wrote:Right click on the folder name (Inbox?) and select "Properties" from the context folder, then click on the "Repair folder" button. That will cause Thunderbird to rebuild the .msf file associated with that folder.

Thanks for taking the time to help but no joy, I'm afraid.

I've got about 300 folders archived as well as the inboxes for the various e-mail accounts I have all of which are in Local Folders and all of which use the same layout. Would I have to repair all of those files as well? The cure might be worse than the problem in that case as some of the archived files with 300 to 400 messages are losing their tags if I repair the files (and that rather destroys the point of a filing system!).

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 13th, 2020, 5:02 pm

A) Repairing the folder won't lose any tags.
B) You only have to do it for the one particular folder which is showing the problem.

Gone Postal

Post Posted May 13th, 2020, 5:10 pm

DanRaisch wrote:A) Repairing the folder won't lose any tags.
B) You only have to do it for the one particular folder which is showing the problem.

I think we have a couple of problems, then.

A) I lost the tags from four archived folders when I used the repair folder option before I realised and stopped. I have only been able to recover the tags by bringing back copies of the msf files from my backup. In case it's relevant, the archived folders were transferred across from Lotus Notes, not archived by Thunderbird.

B) Once I reset the column order on one of my inbox files, every other folder I view has the reset layout. Closing and re-loading Thunderbird causes every folder I have viewed to have reverted to the original layout with Junk and Attachment at the left hand end.

It's not the end of the world just a bit of a PITA.

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 14th, 2020, 4:30 am

A) Those results suggest there was file corruption before the Repair Folder was triggered. I just used that command on a folder with tags on multiple messages and saw no difference after the process was completed.

B) If you click on the small "grid" icon at the far right of the column title row you will see a list of columns that can be selected for display. At the bottom of that list is a menu option to "Apply columns to". Under that are choices to have the changes apply only to a selected folder or to that selected folder and its children. If that second option was selected it might explain why folders below the parent folder would inherit the revised layout.

Gone Postal

Post Posted May 14th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Thanks for the continued help.

A) is an unexplained mystery.

B) has no check mark against "Apply columns to" or any of the folders listed. When I change the column order of any of the folders in Local Folders the change is propagated to the other folders immediately then on reloading Thunderbird things revert to the previous unwelcome order. Not a show-stopper so I'm going to throw the towel in on this one.

WaltS48

Post Posted May 14th, 2020, 4:46 pm

There never was a check mark for "Apply columns to".

You select "Folder" or "Folder and its children", then select an account, then select the folder.

HTH
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Eckard

Post Posted May 16th, 2020, 1:46 am

Gone Postal wrote:
is an unexplained mystery.

I guess it may be one of these known bugs:
Bug 1622255 "column order is reset after restart"
or
Bug 1612055 "thread pane columns changed - the new column order is not convenient"

Gone Postal

Post Posted May 16th, 2020, 2:03 am

Eckard wrote:
Gone Postal wrote:
is an unexplained mystery.

I guess it may be one of these known bugs:
Bug 1622255 "column order is reset after restart"
or
Bug 1612055 "thread pane columns changed - the new column order is not convenient"

Thanks for that. At least I can live in hope of a fix some time in the future!

Return to Thunderbird Support