thunderbird & VPN

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dpa

thunderbird & VPN

Post by dpa »

I cannot send email with Thunderbird using Norton's VPN. I am using Windows 10. Please help.
makaiguy

Re: thunderbird & VPN

Post by makaiguy »

What happens when you try? What is the text of any error message(s) you receive?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I second makaiguy's question.

Whats the exact name of the product? Norton 360 with LifeLock Select and Norton Secure VPN for example both provide a VPN.

Be aware that outlook.com and gmail.com periodically causes problems if you use Thunderbird with many vpn's because they detect that the physical location of the server isn't near your PC's location. Most other email providers don't bother checking.

Is it using the OpenVPN protocol? If you don't know that's fine, but some vpn's support multiple protocols and each can have different connectivity issues.

What port is your smtp server using? Some vpn's block a email client using a insecure port such as port 25.
dpa

Post by dpa »

error message when trying to send email: An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: p-impout003.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp Connection Rejected - see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/104.227.193.9 AUP#Out-1230.

Outgoing server port 587

Using Norton 360 Deluxe with Norton LifeLock - that's the only info I have.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It looks like the recipient refused the connection because it thinks your email provider is a spammer. ISPs have a poor reputation as email providers, but not every recipient's email provider is that fussy. It also depends upon what blacklist they used. They used spamhaus.

Try from a different account such as outlook.com or gmail if you have one. It doesn't look like your VPN is an issue in this case.
dpa

Post by dpa »

problem is Thunderbird is my client and roadrunner.com is my email provider and has been for too long to change at this point.

was also told by NOrton to change the region...australia works but that's not where I live and am afraid that will just confuse online ordering sites.