MozillaZine

Endless spinning circle

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jonasam

Post Posted May 20th, 2020, 8:25 am

Hi all

A little earlier I sent an email in Thunderbird and whilst doing this Thunderbird crashed. Looking in the webmail interface of my mail provider I can see that the email was in fact sent. However, when I start up Thunderbird now I get the spinning circle top left that usually indicates that mail is being retrieved and this just continues indefinitely. Thunderbird is also not actually retrieving new mail now that I can see has come in via my webmail interface and it is also not showing the email in my sent folder that was sent when it crashed.

I saw a different thread somewhere that suggested deleting .msf files from the profiles folder to fix this. I closed TB, backed up my profiles folder and then deleted .msf file for the Inbox, Drafts and Sent folder and restarted Thunderbird. This just meant these folders now appeared empty. I waited some time thinking they'd be repopulated but this didn't appear to be the case so I restored my backup and am back to the endless spinning circle.

Any suggestions?

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 20th, 2020, 10:16 am

How is that account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP?

jonasam

Post Posted May 20th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Hi DanRaisch

It's set up as an IMAP account. But...as of today the issue seems to have resolved itself. I'm now receiving new mail again and the sent mail folder is also up to date again. Sending email also works.

Many thanks nonetheless.

Return to Thunderbird Support