MozillaZine

Spam and Junk Duplicates

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tnffuser

Post Posted June 11th, 2020, 7:12 am

TB 68.9 32 bit on Win10 16gb.
Approximately 75 percent of the mail in my spam and junk folders are duplicates. This does not happen with non spam and junk.
Is this a setting that needs changing or something else I can do to eliminate this.
Not a big problem as I simply delete, but was curious as to what is causing this.

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 11th, 2020, 8:19 am

Have you checked the email providers server, accessing that via a browser, to see if the duplication is coming from there?

tnffuser

Post Posted June 15th, 2020, 7:35 am

The duplicates are coming from gMail and are not duplicated on the web account, only single incidents there.

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 15th, 2020, 3:00 pm

From what you have posted it sounds as though that Gmail account is set up in Thunderbird as an IMAP type account. Is that correct?
Under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Junk Settings is there a check mark next to "Enable adaptive junk mail controls"?
Under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Junk Settings->Destination and Retention what target do you have selected?

tnffuser

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 7:22 am

"From what you have posted it sounds as though that Gmail account is set up in Thunderbird as an IMAP type account. Is that correct?"
Account is set as Imap.

"Under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Junk Settings is there a check mark next to "Enable adaptive junk mail controls"?"
Item is checked. Spam Assassin is set as trusted as that is the way it apparently defaulted when installed.

"Under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Junk Settings->Destination and Retention what target do you have selected?"
The Gmail junk folder is set in account settings.
I am using unified folders and the duplicates are showing up in the Junk folder under that, which I assume would be the case under with folders.
There is no junk folder proper under the Gmail account dropdown.

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 8:15 am

For clarification, you refer to the "GMail junk folder" but above spoke of a Spam folder. Thunderbird doesn't use that term in any way so if you see a Spam folder it's coming from Gmail and simply displayed by Thunderbird. You can unsubscribe from that folder to eliminate one source of confusion. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1144673

Also, right click on the name of the Junk folder in the left hand pane of the main Thunderbird window and select "Properties" from the context menu. Then click on "Repair folder" in the dialogue box displayed.

tnffuser

Post Posted June 17th, 2020, 11:14 am

Thank you,will do.
There is both a gmail junk folder and a gmail spam folder under the Junk folder proper in main left panel of unified folders setup.
Will attempt to unsubscribe to the spam folder.

Return to Thunderbird Support