Recommend you skip version 78 for now

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
EmailedBeyondBelief

Re: Recommend you skip version 78 for now

Post by EmailedBeyondBelief »

Thanks for the hints, I've already recovered the addresses to csv files by opening the MAB files in Excel and manually adjusting the data. I have even successfully imported them into a test profile. The issue is that the Address book application doesn't seem to want to function under her profile (it works fine the new profile). Anytime I attempt to import the addresses, I get 'An error occurred importing addresses from Text file …' and nothing is imported.

Today, I tried a little reverse logic and copied her Mail folder from the broken profile to the new one (where I successfully imported the Address books to). Of course, when I launched TB and configured her email account, no emails showed up. A little more digging revealed that her email was stored under the original email provider's folder she was using when I set up TB years ago. In the new profile it created a folder named for her current provider, so TB didn't look in the right place. I shutdown TB, renamed the new provider's folder to .old and the old provider's folder to the new name and restarted TB. Hallelujah - it worked. A little more tweaking and her new client is pretty much functional.

Thank you for putting the second set of eyes on this, I sometimes find that describing things to others helps me look at a problem in new ways. I still agree that jumping 78 is a bad idea right now. (My TB is on 78.0.1).
EmailedBeyondBelief

Thanks for the hints, I've already recovered the addresses to csv files by opening the MAB files in Excel and manually adjusting the data. I have even successfully imported them into a test profile. The issue is that the Address book application doesn't seem to want to function under her profile (it works fine the new profile). Anytime I attempt to import the addresses, I get 'An error occurred importing addresses from Text file …' and nothing is imported.

Today, I tried a little reverse logic and copied her Mail folder from the broken profile to the new one (where I successfully imported the Address books to). Of course, when I launched TB and configured her email account, no emails showed up. A little more digging revealed that her email was stored under the original email provider's folder she was using when I set up TB years ago. In the new profile it created a folder named for her current provider, so TB didn't look in the right place. I shutdown TB, renamed the new provider's folder to .old and the old provider's folder to the new name and restarted TB. Hallelujah - it worked. A little more tweaking and her new client is pretty much functional.

Thank you for putting the second set of eyes on this, I sometimes find that describing things to others helps me look at a problem in new ways. I still agree that jumping 78 is a bad idea right now. (My TB is on 78.0.1).
EmailedBeyondBelief

BTW, I also just read some the info you posted about the blank preview. I tried running in safe mode 1st by selecting Disable all add-ons, with no change. Then agin with Reset toolbars and controls selected. this time it corrected the issue. So again, thank you.
EmailedBeyondBelief

-----------------------------
BTW, I also just read some the info you posted about the blank preview. I tried running in safe mode 1st by selecting Disable all add-ons, with no change. Then again with Reset toolbars and controls selected. This time it corrected the issue. So again, thank you.
EmailedBeyondBelief

Thanks for the hints, I've already recovered the addresses to csv files by opening the MAB files in Excel and manually adjusting the data. I have even successfully imported them into a test profile. The issue is that the Address book application doesn't seem to want to function under her profile (it works fine in the new profile). Anytime I attempt to import the addresses, I get 'An error occurred importing addresses from Text file …' and nothing is imported.

Last night, I tried a little reverse logic and copied her Mail folder from the broken profile to the new one (where I successfully imported the Address books to). Of course, when I launched TB and configured her email account, no emails showed up. A little more digging revealed that her email was stored under the original email provider's folder she was using when I set up TB years ago. In the new profile it created a folder named for her current provider, so TB didn't look in the right place. I shutdown TB, renamed the new provider's folder to .old and the old provider's folder to the new name and restarted TB. Hallelujah - it worked. A little more tweaking and her new profile is pretty much functional.

-----------------------------
BTW, I also read some the info you posted about the blank preview. I tried running in safe mode 1st by selecting Disable all add-ons, with no change. Then again with Reset toolbars and controls selected. this time it corrected the issue. So again, thank you.
jaizan

Post by jaizan »

I just upgraded to 78 & have regretted it.

All the legacy add ons are not available, so just like with Firefox, Mozilla are removing the main reason why I have chosen to use this piece of software.

In particular, I like to view 3 e-mail accounts with one inbox and use the "Account Colors" app to shade the background messages to each account in a different colour. That option appears to no longer be available. I'm currently looking for alternative software.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I'm currently looking for alternative software."

Why not just go back to 68 or 60 for a couple of months and then see if your favorite add-ons have been updated (or a alternative written)?

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
If you want to reuse your existing profile add a --allow-downgrade command line argument to the shortcut.