MozillaZine

Google Calendar with Thunderbird 78?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wms1yter5

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 10:08 am

Hi, I just got a new machine, moved my profile folder over, and installed the latest Thunderbird 78 before seeing the warnings about waiting. Oh well, done now.

At this point, I just want to get my Google Calendar accessible. The settings seemed to move over with the profile, since it can be seen in the Calendar dropdown, but when I double-click the calendar the popup message is "The provider for this calendar could not be found. This often happens if you have disabled or uninstalled certain addons."

I tried unpublishing it to start over, but after every Thunderbird restart the greyed out Google Calendar is still there.

So instead I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the following:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-CA/th ... -calendar/

However, when I then try to create a new calendar, choosing "On the network" as I'm supposed to, there are only "iCalendar" and "CalDAV" options, not "Google Calendar". It appears this no longer works with Thunderbird 78. Nor does any other addon I tried. Help!

Any ideas on how to connect to my Google Calendar with Thunderbird 78?

sfhowes

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 1:10 pm

wms1yter5

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Thanks, TbSync definetely appears to be the right answer. However, none of the setup will take across restarts.

TL;DR: I am wondering if my problems are related to the old Google Calendar still stuck in Thunderbird from the transferred profile (although greyed out and not working) interfering with the new TbSync and causing all the problems below. I tried unpublishing that old calendar, but it comes back with each restart, still greyed out and not working. So I want to start with a completely fresh Thunderbird as the first approach. However, I have more than a decade of email stored in Local Folders. Can I do a completely clean configuration of Thunderbird, create a new profile, and then simply copy over all Local Folders folder in my existing profile to the new profile, restart Thunderbird, and retain all that Local Folder email? I could then set up my imap email again, it would resync, and I could start this whole TbSync install process over and see what happens?

Gory detail:

I installed TbSync 2.16. When I restarted Thunderbird just for good practice, TbSync is still in Add-ons, but none of the three options on the following page to start it are available - lower right corner of window, Tools > Add-on Options, or Tools > Synchronization settings.

https://github.com/jobisoft/TbSync/wiki ... et-started

So I reinstalled TbSync again. Now the Tools > Synchronization settings option is available. Restarted Thunderbird. Gone again. Reinstalled TbSync again, and this time didn't restart Thunderbird. Could now access Tools > Synchronization settings. Says I need the Provider for CalDav and CardDav. Installed. Restarted Thunderbird. No TbSync access.

Reinstalled TbSync again. Access sync settings. Says I need the Provider for CalDav and CardDav again. Check, and it is still installed. Install it again anyway.

Then access TbSync sync, and set up a new Google account, and sync everything. All my appts are in Calendar, looks great.

Restart Thunderbird. Everything gone. Do everything above again. Except when I get back to TbSync, it has retained the settings, and I just have to resync the account, entering my login information to Google (several times) again. Restart Thunderbird. Everything gone. Try one more time, have to repeat every step, including adding the CalDav and CardDav connecter again. But on Thunderbird restart, all gone again.

WaltS48

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 3:00 pm

I use the Google CalDAV calendar. Although I do miss my Phases of the Moon calendar I could get using the Provider extension. :(

How to add Google CalDAV calendar
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

wms1yter5

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 3:38 pm

Ok, thanks, I might try that too.

But I really think I need to start first with a clean install. Can anyone let me know if a clean install / move old Local Folders approach would work?

sfhowes

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 4:33 pm

I wouldn't recommend running 78 on a profile that was used in 68, at least until the auto upgrade is enabled. Launch 78, Help/Troubleshooting, about:profiles, create a new profile, add a gmail account, install TbSync, add the calendar. If all goes well, local mail, address books etc. can be transferred from the old profile to the new one. Copy the mbox files from the subfolders of Mail in the old profile into Mail\Local Folders of the new profile. Copy abook.mab and history.mab from the old to the new profile.

There are too many reports of users being updated by 3rd-party update utilities, or upgrading manually, and experiencing serious issues when the old profile is run in 78.

wms1yter5

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Thanks. One other item. My main email address is not a gmail address, it is an address at my own domain, managed by an imap service at 1and1 (now ionos). I only use a special one-off gmail address so I can have a cloud calendar and contacts, and be able to sync it to Thunderbird and my phone etc.

Therefore, would the procedure be as follows?

1. Create a new profile in Thunderbird 78.
2. Add my imap email address maintained at 1and1.
3. Add TbSync, and attempt to add my Google calendar and contacts.
4. If all goes well, close Thunderbird, copy over the Mail/Local Folders, abook.mab, and history.mab from my old profile to new, and restart.

?

sfhowes

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 5:35 pm

That should work.

wms1yter5

Post Posted July 25th, 2020, 4:55 am

Halfway there. Created a new profile as you describe, added my imap email account, enabled TbSync 2.16, and connected to my Google contacts and calendar. It now persists across Thunderbird restarts. Yay!

I then moved my Local Folders over. However, there is no abook.mab and history.mab, only abook.mab.bak, and history.mab.bak. I guess something got "upgraded" when I previously started using Thunderbird 78 and naively just copied my old profile over.

I am reluctant to restart Thunderbird now without knowing what will happen to my Local Folders without abook.mab and history.mab. Will any information that was in abook.mab and history.mab be recreated? Or should I take a different approach?

sfhowes

Post Posted July 25th, 2020, 10:55 am

The mab files don't have any effect on Local Folders. Close TB, copy abook.mab and history.mab, deleting the .bak, into the 78 profile folder. When TB restarts, it will create abook.sqlite and history.sqlite, and rename the mab files to mab.bak.

wms1yter5

Post Posted July 25th, 2020, 11:44 am

Thanks. Since I want to start anew, and have done so successfully with configuring a new profile, and redoing my imap connection, and everything is working right now, can I forgo copying ebook.mab and history.mab? Is there something important I need from them at this point?

sfhowes

Post Posted July 25th, 2020, 11:54 am

The mab files contain the Personal Address Book and Collected Addresses from the old profile. If you don't need them in the new profile, they can be ignored.

wms1yter5

Post Posted July 25th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Fantastic. Everything works great. I keep all addresses in my Google Calendar so they are available everywhere, so did not need the mab files. Many thanks for the help.

For others:

* The only one of the ways to access TbSync that was displayed in my Thunderbird was Tools > Synchronization settings.

* I needed to sync the "Address Book" from Google to get my contacts, those contacts which display as "contacts" in my Android calendar. The "Contacts" resource listed in TbSync when connecting to your Google account appears to actually be something else, for which I disabled sync.

* The Google calendar you want to sync is the resource with your Google email address listed as the "Resource" name.

* To ensure that incoming appts from others and appts you create in Thunderbird calendar go into the Google calendar, not the local Home calendar, make sure the Home calendar is not enabled, by making sure the checkbox for "Enable this calendar" is cleared from the properties dialog when you double-click or right-click the Home calendar from the left pane in calendar view.

(I donated to Thunderbird today - it would be nice if you did too!)

ckbks

Post Posted August 11th, 2020, 12:28 am

Hello. PCMatic auto updated me to 78.1.1 and I am having the same problem: unable to access calendars from Google Calendar. I disabled the add-on Provider for Google Calendar and installed the add-on TbSync. However, I cannot find settings to enable the calendar. I am not sufficiently tech inclined (or motivated) to follow the many steps to manually transfer over all my data as suggested in the discussion above. Is there no way to simply turn on the Google calendar in TBird 78, and also no way to go back to using TB 68 until this is resolved? Thanks for any help you can provide!

wms1yter5

Post Posted August 11th, 2020, 4:57 am

The above procedure was the only way I found to solve the problem. If it helps, printout this entire thread, and take a pen and check off the items as you go. It was not that bad.

If you have an external hard drive, such as a USB drive, and copy your entire profile there first, and then you have a backup to protect you if anything goes wrong and you need to start over.

Return to Thunderbird Support