Spell check highlighting every word as mispelled

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cdubea

Spell check highlighting every word as mispelled

Post by cdubea »

Greetings,

I'm using TB v68.10.0 on my desktop computer which has developed an interesting habit.

When crafting an e-mail it highlights every word as misspelled, but when asked for suggestions for alternates, has none. When sending the message it again goes through the ritual of highlighting misspelled words which aren't and offers no suggestions for alternatives. The only dictionary I have installed is US English.

This is a fairly new artifact as the hard drive on this computer died a couple of weeks ago and I had to reinstall everything.

I keep a separate user profile which is backed up and was restored to this machine when TB was installed.

I do "synchronize" the catalog with my laptop to open the same profile on it when I'm using it. I'm typically careful about not having both copied of TB open at the same time.

Any ideas whats going on and how to fix it?

thanks

chris
DanRaisch

Re: Spell check highlighting every word as mispelled

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
cdubea

Post by cdubea »

Negative.

It works correctly.

Additionally, this morning I've discovered the laptop that I use with the profile exhibits the same thing.

thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When things work properly in Safe Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
cdubea

Post by cdubea »

Well,

Interestingly enough, after opening in safe mode, closing and reopening in the normal fashion, it's now behaving normally.

That was very odd.

Thanks for the assistance.

chris
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
We've seen that before but don't have an explanation at this time.
cdubea

Post by cdubea »

LOL. At work, we just call this a "spurious anomaly"....