MozillaZine

PC Won't Accept Thunderbird Association

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Post Posted July 28th, 2020, 2:00 pm

"I use Libre Office."

Try sending a message using the default email client from LibreOffice. It should use SimpleMAPI. If that works then we know its not a generic SimpleMAPI problem, its something specific to Windows Explorer/File Explorer.

Sometimes there are problems registering a email client as the default, with Windows. One menu is used to associate a file extension with an app, that's useful if you want to be able to double click on a .eml file and view it in Thunderbird but won't help in this case. In settings click on apps, then default apps. Select Thunderbird as the default email app. Then look at the bottom of that page where there are links to "chose default apps by file type" and "chose default apps by protocol".

In my case selecting "chose default apps by protocol" I see Thunderbird listed for mailto but the POP3, IMAP4 or SMTP protocols are not listed at all. By that I mean no mention of their existence, not nobody is associated with them. Weird. I'm using windows 10 build 2004 and I remember I used to be able to associate those network protocol before with some earlier windows 10 builds.

"The default profile Server Type is News Server (NNTP). The new profile Server Type is POP Mail Server."

POP is the correct choice.

"The default profile has a Home Account but the new one does not."

I have no idea what you mean by a home account. Perhaps you renamed an account to use that name.

"The new profile has a folder named .yahoo.com (along with Local Folders) in the Mail folder, but the default profile does not. The default profile only has Local Folders."

Not enough info to tell whats going on. Perhaps in your old profile you moved the accounts local directory outside of the profile. Regardless, your new profile seems correct.

Wiggam72

Post Posted July 28th, 2020, 2:40 pm

I tried sending a text document from within LibreOffice (File > Send > Email Document) and I get the same message. I didn't know that LibreOffice could be used as an email client because MS doesn't give a way to use it. It only has TB, Mail, FF, Edge and Chrome in the default settings for sending email. The only other option it allows is to look in the MS store.

I've tried using protocol long before now and tried again, but I get the same result.

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 28th, 2020, 6:12 pm

"I didn't know that LibreOffice could be used as an email client "

Its not a email client. Its just another app that is designed to use SimpleMAPI to call your systems default email client (which should be Thunderbird in your case) to send the current file as an attachment etc..

Try setting a different email client as the default, reboot and see if LibreOffice will then try to send a message. You might not need to have it work (which would require configuring an account on the other email client), you just want to see if it actually calls that program (get a different error message). Then try setting Thunderbird as the default again.

I just tried adding an account to the Microsoft mail app and it let me log into my gmail account (I even got a security alert in my Thunderbird gmail account about windows was just allowed access) but when asked what name I wanted to use it failed, and returned a cryptic error code (0x8007139f). I found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 159f233ce8 . I changed the app settings to enable mail and calendar to run and had to re-enable allowing background apps in order to enable mail & calendar to run as a background app. I tried again and this time it accepted the name I entered, but then hung in a infinite loop adding the account, even the cancel key is ignored.

If you want to try temporarily configuring a different email client to be the default, "em client" works well. I have a copy of the free version (its limited to 2 accounts, no add-ons and no customization) that I occasionally use to help troubleshoot who is at fault. https://www.emclient.com/

Wiggam72

Post Posted July 28th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Wow!! This is telling!! eM Client works. However, when I changed the default back to TB, eM Client opens! So what does this mean and will I ever be able to get TB to work using Mailto?

It's as if Windows doesn't see TB which makes no sense since it can be selected as the default.

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 28th, 2020, 8:48 pm

On my system regedit shows the following registry keys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command is set to "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird 78\thunderbird.exe" -osint -compose "%1"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Thunderbird.Url.news\shell\open\command is set to "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird 78\thunderbird.exe" -osint -mail "%1"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Thunderbird.Url.mailto\shell\open\command is set to "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird 78\thunderbird.exe" -osint -compose "%1"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ThunderbirdEML\shell\open\command is set to "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird 78\thunderbird.exe" -osint "%1"

Note: I have three different versions of Thunderbird installed, so I'm using a non-standard location for the installation.

On your system do the two mailto keys use em client? If so, try modifying the value to use Thunderbird instead. Note that every email client installed on your system will also have its own registry key mentioning mailto, these seem to be the ones that set the default for the system.

Wiggam72

Post Posted July 29th, 2020, 5:04 am

The value is not set on all of them. How do I go about setting the values?

BTW, I almost created a disaster. I tried to use the 64bit version as you have. I DL version (64bit) 68.8.1 and installed it thinking that since it's 64 bit, it wouldn't affect the 32bit version that's installed. It screwed up all of my profile settings (because of troubleshooting this issue, I now have 4 Profiles-had 2 before) so I could no longer send and a couple of them would not open with an error message about a newer version.

I had to do a System Restore to get it back to how things were before I installed it. Because of that, eM Client is no longer installed. I would have to reinstall if needed for further troubleshooting.

Where do I get 64bit version 78 if needed? I can't find it.

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 29th, 2020, 7:07 am

I recommend you don't install version 78, its not ready for use by most users and will add just more complications. Its currently available only as a setup program on thunderbird.net (not as a update) . If you click on that web pages Systems & Languages link you will find downloads for 64 bit versions.

I suggest you stick with your existing 32 bit version of Thunderbird 68, re-install em client and set it as the default for mailto so that you can find the mailto registry keys, and then edit them to use Thunderbird .

The reason you ran into problems with version 68 is because it used a version of gecko that in many configurations insisted on creating a new profile. The 68.2.0 release notes - https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/ - claim that they fixed the bug were that was triggered by switching from 32-bit to 64-bit but I think your recent problem shows that fix doesn't work in all cases.

Wiggam72

Post Posted July 29th, 2020, 9:26 am

I have TB version 78.01 32bit installed. That's the one I've been using for several days now. So are you saying to uninstall that and use 32bit version 68? Or were you referring to not using the 64bit version of 78?

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 29th, 2020, 1:43 pm

I'm suggesting you keep whatever version of Thunderbird you are using, as long as you have a working profile. There is no need to mimic my configuration. But if you want to switch to a 64 bit version of 78 fine. You just need to deal with any additional problems due to running setup again (such as maybe having to create a new profile) first.

Wiggam72

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 5:12 am

This makes absolutely no sense. After reinstalling eM Client. and setting TB as the default, all of the registry keys you posted show correctly for the 32bit TB version, but it still opens eM Client instead of TB. Even when eM Client is set as the default, it shows the TB registry key.

There must something missing or not enabled that won't allow TB mailto to open. :evil: :evil: :evil:

EDIT: I have eM Client set to NOT launch on startup. I opened it to look into the settings to see if there's a way to force TB to open Mailto. The next thing I know, it starts DL my email! I immediately pulled my Ethernet cable. Thankfully it doesn't have the same insane default setting like TB that doesn't leave a copy on the server.

How do I prevent eM Client DL my email?

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 7:10 am

The easiest way is to configure em client to use a IMAP account (not a POP account). You might be able to start em client while there is no network, delete the account, reconnect the network, and then add a IMAP account.

The only reason to install em client was to set some registry keys that you can modify. You do that via the windows setting program, and then use regedit to examine/modify the keys. However if windows settings doesn't list Thunderbird as a choice you might need to just add the following registry key to tell it Thunderbird exists, and try again:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications]
"Mozilla Thunderbird"="Software\\Clients\\Mail\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\Capabilities"

viewtopic.php?p=14869111#p14869111

Wiggam72

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications] I don't have the Folder "Mozilla Thunderbird" and the registry key "Software\\Clients\\Mail\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\Capabilities"

Under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications] I only have the Value Name Thunderbird with the registry key Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\Capabilities

How do I add that missing folder and registry key?

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Those are keys, not folders. See "Creating New Keys and Values" in https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using- ... o/lesson5/

I think everything you are concerned about has a string value. I suggest you use system restore to add a restore point before you try to add/modify anything as a precaution. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows ... m-restore/ explains what system restore is and how to use it.

Wiggam72

Post Posted July 31st, 2020, 9:18 am

TB works on my old PC with 68., so I uninstalled 78 and installed 68 on this PC. Still the same result. I'm at my wits end! I don't why eM Client works but TB doesn't.

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 31st, 2020, 6:46 pm

Is Thunderbird listed as a possible choice for mailto (or any default protocol/handler) in Settings?

Return to Thunderbird Support