MozillaZine

Filter very sloooow

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tapetv

Post Posted July 27th, 2020, 3:34 am

Since I updated from 60.x to 68. (and currently on 78.1), opening my filter-rules takes forever (say 2 minutes ;)
In 78 my rules were even gone. I transferred them from my earlier version, and again: very slow. I know, I must have a couple of hundred addresses, but than still: it shouldn't take that long, right?

Anything I can do or tweak? I rely heavily on filtering and thus on adapting them on a daily basis.
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 27th, 2020, 6:07 am

Are the message filters stored in each account or are all of them in Local Folders due to your using a global inbox?

Do you have the same delay if you manually run the filters a couple of minutes after you've already fetched all of your new mail? I'm not suggesting it as a workaround, I'm trying to see if delays communicating with your email provider could be a factor.

tapetv

Post Posted July 27th, 2020, 8:29 am

I don't use local folders, so the filters are tied to my main account to run on my inbox. When fetching mail, all seems to be normal. I should have been more clear: it's slow when I want to edit the rules (e.g. add an email or subject to one of the 10 categories or so. Also running manually is very slow. say 1 minute or longer.
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions

tapetv

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 5:00 am

::bump::? Today opening one of the bigger filter-rules even results in a beach ball (hang).
Maybe I should erase the "msgFilterRules.dat" and start my filters all over again?
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 7:00 am

I'm not using any message filters so I'm not aware of any performance differences in 78. I use server side message filters to move messages to the desired folder instead.

tapetv

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 7:55 am

Ok. I'm a filter-freak with dozens of emails and subjects in at least 7 categories of contacts, so server-side would probably be too intense.
With the beachballing it has become unworkable, so I guess I have to start afresh.
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 10:33 am

Before you jump to replacing that filter, why not try renaming the file msgFilterRules.dat to msgFilterRulesdat.old? That will let you keep all of the current filters available for reference. Then manually recreate one or two of the filter patterns for your most important message evaluations and see if the performance is improved with the new msgFilterRules.dat file that Thunderbird will create.

tapetv

Post Posted July 31st, 2020, 2:37 am

Thanks, indeed I'd make a backup. Funny thing is: the filters run just fine on incoming messages. Only editing the biggest filters results in a beach ball. Smaller filters I can open and edit.
So I bypassed it by making new filters ("Suppliers NEW", "Media NEW" etc..). Not exactly a solution to the problem, but hey: it works.
I just copied and pasted the biggest filter in Word and did a count: 399 entries.
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions

Return to Thunderbird Support